RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: [MODERATOR] This is really from me, Jeanice....

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
      On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 10:02 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
      > Alot of fake sites are being hosted in Russia at the moment.

      A lot, but not all, and not all .ru sites are fake or spam. Yahoo is an
      international community, and there are legitimate Internet users who
      happen to live there and have their web sites there.

      The last time I checked statistics, Russia, China, and other countries
      were high on the spam-origination tally, but good old USA was still #1
      in this icky area. :-(

      The moral of the story is that you can't *just* rely on the country code
      in the domain to spot malware, but must look at the whole URL carefully.

      Your point about *caution* with .ru and .cn domains is well taken -- I
      just didn't want people to fall into the trap of relying only on this
      clue.

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/