Re: [MODERATOR] This is really from me, Jeanice....

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
      On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 19:13 -0700, Isabella di Giovanni wrote:
      > It has come to my attention that someone or something has taken my
      > facebook or email (I don't know which) and is sending out all kinds of
      > junk to everyone on my list, saying that it has come from me.

      There is a nasty phishing malware attack that has been plaguing the
      lists for about a month now. It manifests as an email with a link but
      little or no explanatory text. People who click the link are presented
      with a *fake* login page for Yahoo, Facebook, or similar, and if they
      type their password into that page, the credentials are captured and
      then the account is used for spam.

      If you are the victim of this, you should change your password on Yahoo
      *immediately*, and also change the password on any other accounts where
      that same password is used. The phishers are no doubt smart enough to
      guess that you might use the same one on several major sites.

      For others, the lesson is this: Don't click web links from emails unless
      there is some reasonable explanatory text that satisfies you that the
      link is legitimate. And *manually look at the URL* in your browser's
      address line before you type login data for any site. Phishers get
      look-alike URLs that are not the real one. For example, someone might
      register "www.yahoo-login-page.ru" or something like that to make you
      think it's really Yahoo.

      Let's be careful out there. :-)

      Justin
      List Moderator

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
        If it has .ru in the end of the address automatically assume its bad. Alot of fake sites are being hosted in Russia at the moment.

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
        Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

        "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        CC: isabella_di_giovanni@...
        From: justin@...
        Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:55:51 -0400
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: [MODERATOR] This is really from me, Jeanice....

        On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 19:13 -0700, Isabella di Giovanni wrote:
        > It has come to my attention that someone or something has taken my
        > facebook or email (I don't know which) and is sending out all kinds of
        > junk to everyone on my list, saying that it has come from me.

        There is a nasty phishing malware attack that has been plaguing the
        lists for about a month now. It manifests as an email with a link but
        little or no explanatory text. People who click the link are presented
        with a *fake* login page for Yahoo, Facebook, or similar, and if they
        type their password into that page, the credentials are captured and
        then the account is used for spam.

        If you are the victim of this, you should change your password on Yahoo
        *immediately*, and also change the password on any other accounts where
        that same password is used. The phishers are no doubt smart enough to
        guess that you might use the same one on several major sites.

        For others, the lesson is this: Don't click web links from emails unless
        there is some reasonable explanatory text that satisfies you that the
        link is legitimate. And *manually look at the URL* in your browser's
        address line before you type login data for any site. Phishers get
        look-alike URLs that are not the real one. For example, someone might
        register "www.yahoo-login-page.ru" or something like that to make you
        think it's really Yahoo.

        Let's be careful out there. :-)

        Justin
        List Moderator

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
          On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 10:02 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
          > Alot of fake sites are being hosted in Russia at the moment.

          A lot, but not all, and not all .ru sites are fake or spam. Yahoo is an
          international community, and there are legitimate Internet users who
          happen to live there and have their web sites there.

          The last time I checked statistics, Russia, China, and other countries
          were high on the spam-origination tally, but good old USA was still #1
          in this icky area. :-(

          The moral of the story is that you can't *just* rely on the country code
          in the domain to spot malware, but must look at the whole URL carefully.

          Your point about *caution* with .ru and .cn domains is well taken -- I
          just didn't want people to fall into the trap of relying only on this
          clue.