This is really from me, Jeanice, and not one of those fake ones you have been getting. Please read it to see how to fix it.

  • Isabella di Giovanni
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2010
      It has come to my attention that someone or something has taken my facebook or email (I don't know which) and is sending out all kinds of junk to everyone on my list, saying that it has come from me.  I swear to you.  I haven't done it, but I don't know what to do or how to make it stop.  I guess you could just block my address so you won't get anymore of it.

       'They' are doing the same thing with my son's email, too.  I am sure this has ruined a lot of friendships. I apologize, even though it wasn't me.

      Please feel free to block this email address, and those of you who want to continue to write me, please do so at            jeanice60115@...

      I am so sorry this has happened.  Jeanice

      Slow dancing in the shadows, a hint of wood smoke in the air.
      Sounds of surf beyond the dunes, seagulls cry in the distance,
      You hold me close to your heart, and all is right with my world.

    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
        On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 19:13 -0700, Isabella di Giovanni wrote:
        > It has come to my attention that someone or something has taken my
        > facebook or email (I don't know which) and is sending out all kinds of
        > junk to everyone on my list, saying that it has come from me.

        There is a nasty phishing malware attack that has been plaguing the
        lists for about a month now. It manifests as an email with a link but
        little or no explanatory text. People who click the link are presented
        with a *fake* login page for Yahoo, Facebook, or similar, and if they
        type their password into that page, the credentials are captured and
        then the account is used for spam.

        If you are the victim of this, you should change your password on Yahoo
        *immediately*, and also change the password on any other accounts where
        that same password is used. The phishers are no doubt smart enough to
        guess that you might use the same one on several major sites.

        For others, the lesson is this: Don't click web links from emails unless
        there is some reasonable explanatory text that satisfies you that the
        link is legitimate. And *manually look at the URL* in your browser's
        address line before you type login data for any site. Phishers get
        look-alike URLs that are not the real one. For example, someone might
        register "www.yahoo-login-page.ru" or something like that to make you
        think it's really Yahoo.

        Let's be careful out there. :-)

        Justin
        List Moderator

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
          If it has .ru in the end of the address automatically assume its bad. Alot of fake sites are being hosted in Russia at the moment.

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
          Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

          "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          CC: isabella_di_giovanni@...
          From: justin@...
          Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:55:51 -0400
          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: [MODERATOR] This is really from me, Jeanice....

          On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 19:13 -0700, Isabella di Giovanni wrote:
          > It has come to my attention that someone or something has taken my
          > facebook or email (I don't know which) and is sending out all kinds of
          > junk to everyone on my list, saying that it has come from me.

          There is a nasty phishing malware attack that has been plaguing the
          lists for about a month now. It manifests as an email with a link but
          little or no explanatory text. People who click the link are presented
          with a *fake* login page for Yahoo, Facebook, or similar, and if they
          type their password into that page, the credentials are captured and
          then the account is used for spam.

          If you are the victim of this, you should change your password on Yahoo
          *immediately*, and also change the password on any other accounts where
          that same password is used. The phishers are no doubt smart enough to
          guess that you might use the same one on several major sites.

          For others, the lesson is this: Don't click web links from emails unless
          there is some reasonable explanatory text that satisfies you that the
          link is legitimate. And *manually look at the URL* in your browser's
          address line before you type login data for any site. Phishers get
          look-alike URLs that are not the real one. For example, someone might
          register "www.yahoo-login-page.ru" or something like that to make you
          think it's really Yahoo.

          Let's be careful out there. :-)

          Justin
          List Moderator

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
            On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 10:02 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
            > Alot of fake sites are being hosted in Russia at the moment.

            A lot, but not all, and not all .ru sites are fake or spam. Yahoo is an
            international community, and there are legitimate Internet users who
            happen to live there and have their web sites there.

            The last time I checked statistics, Russia, China, and other countries
            were high on the spam-origination tally, but good old USA was still #1
            in this icky area. :-(

            The moral of the story is that you can't *just* rely on the country code
            in the domain to spot malware, but must look at the whole URL carefully.

            Your point about *caution* with .ru and .cn domains is well taken -- I
            just didn't want people to fall into the trap of relying only on this
            clue.