Re: late 1500 Spain persona

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2010
      Mike asked:
      <<< greetings all i am new to the SCA and looking to begin researching my persona. Im looking to use a late 1500's spanish persona and was wondering where i can find good accurate information about life in Spain during 1550- 1590. i am also looking to try to begin getting garb ready and want to know where to find garb patterns and descriptions from that time frame. any help would be greatly appreciated. im not asking for anyone to do the work for me only just to help me get started and in a direction of where to start.>>>

      While I don't tend to break down Florilegium files by date, you might find some of the files in the Florilegium to be a good place to start. You can find the address in my signature line below.

      First, I would look through the NEWCOMERS section for some more info on the SCA.

      Then, in the CULTURES section:
      Spain-msg (38K) 11/23/07 Medieval Spain. Info. sources.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/Spain-msg.html

      In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Spain-msg (176K) 1/29/08 Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Spain-msg.html
      fd-Portugal-msg (10K) 9/19/05 Food of medieval Portugal. References.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Portugal-msg.html

      In the CLOTHING section:
      cl-Spain-msg (22K) 12/22/09 Clothing of Medieval Spain.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cl-Spain-msg.html

      In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
      3-Span-Sweets-art (13K) 4/26/01 Three Spanish sweet dishes from de Nola by Vicente.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/3-Span-Sweets-art.html

      You might also plug in "Spain" or "Spanish" in the search engine on the top page of the site and see what comes up. I hope this helps.

      Stefan
      --------