Re: [SCA Newcomers] First garb response (long)

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2010
      On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 23:37 -0400, Shellie wrote:
      > I have very limited funds and can't go getting what I really want and
      > then when I do make something I am berated.

      I am always so sorry to hear about situations like this! As someone else
      pointed out, the SCA Inc. only requires "an attempt" at pre-1600
      costume. It is against the rules for a local group to demand a
      particular style or culture. As long as you are making a reasonable
      attempt at the historical costume of some culture that was known to
      exist by western Europeans within the time period 600-1600 CE, you are
      complying with SCA rules. If someone tells you that in a particular
      shire or barony you *must* wear garb from a particular country or a
      particular narrow time period, they are wrong, and the rules are on your
      side.

      We have some really wonderful authenticity mavens on this list, and
      their approach is very much to encourage first efforts and offer
      kindness and gentle guidance to improve as you learn at your own pace.
      Unfortunately, out there in the wide world there are a few individuals
      who try to boost their own self-esteem by berating the work of others
      who have less experience. They apparently don't "get" that whole thing
      about flies, honey, and vinegar. :-/

      There are almost certainly people in your locale with a better attitude
      also. We just need to get you started and help you find them.

      For what it's worth.... My very first SCA event was Pennsic 20, back
      in the early 1990s. I showed up at the site with some garb made by my ex
      wife, and it fit so horribly that I literally couldn't wear it. (There
      is probably a life-lesson in this....but that's another subject.) So I
      arrived on site with, for all practical purposes, no garb. I had to buy
      off the rack from merchants. I wanted to do Byzantine persona, but all I
      knew of them was that Constantinople is near the Middle East. So I ended
      up wearing a crazy mishmash of north-European tunic, North American
      pioneer high moccasins, and (to protect my bald head from sun) a Middle
      Eastern kafiya and agal (the traditional Arabic male headgear). I'm
      proud to say I made the agal (the ornamented headband) myself -- my very
      first A&S project. But.... To any reasonable person, I looked like a
      crazy mix of cultures.

      Friends talked me into attending a class in the Enchanted Ground, the
      most authenticity-driven campsite at Pennsic. While I was there, I got
      to talking with several of their folk, including Duke Cariadoc himself.
      By all rights, they could have (with good reason) criticized my garb.
      They didn't. Instead, they chose to say nothing about what I did wrong,
      but rather dug deep to find one or two tiny things I did correctly (such
      as beginning to research my persona while at Pennsic), and they praised
      the small points they could.

      I went away from that encounter feeling terrific. By this point, I had
      figured out that I had done a poor job of garbing myself, but these
      folks had given me hope that there was something I was doing well, also.

      I am still not exactly a garb maven, but I'm wearing a lot better now
      than I was then. They could have easily crushed my attempts and probably
      driven me out of the SCA. Instead, they encouraged me gently. This year
      I will attend my 20th Pennsic, and I'm still having fun.

      Please don't give up -- most of the SCA is more likely to offer you help
      and tutoring rather than criticism. We just need to get you linked up
      with the right people, and this list is a pretty good starting point for
      that.

      Kind regards and welcome,

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 10 , May 6, 2010
        On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 06:39 -0500, D'vorah bint al-Attar wrote:
        > I've also been informed by someone on (mumble -- can't remember which
        > email list) that http://www.historicenterprises.com not only SAYS that
        > their clothing patterns and construction methods are period, but are
        > actually correct. If you wanted to buy one full set of garb and then
        > use that as a pattern to make future sets, I'm told that would be an
        > excellent thing to do.

        I have a tunic and under-tunic that I bought last year at Pennsic from
        Black Swan Designs, which is part of Historic Enterprises. I am
        extremely pleased with the quality of the garments, and I get
        compliments from others almost every time I wear the tunic. Both inner
        and outer are made of 100% linen, and it's wonderfully comfortable in
        summer weather. :-)

        So I second D'vorah's recommendation of these folks. I don't have any
        commercial connection to them -- I'm just a customer who's happy with
        what I bought.

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Maria Buchanan
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6, 2010
          Shellie,
          Go to JoAnns Fabrics online and sign up for their e-newsletter.  When you get it read it.  It will tell you when the patterns go on sale.  I've gotten McCalls and Simplicity patterns for 99 cents at JoAnn's when they are on sale.  Sometimes they are 1.99.  I've never bought a pattern at JoAnn's at full price.
          Maria