Re: [SCA Newcomers] (no subject)

  • S H
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2010

      > :) well said.. and really- better it should stay together and not fall
      > apart during court right? I can't immagion gthe skill necessary to keep
      > a doublet together when its just you a needle a a zillion yards of upultry
      > fabic....On that note I know down here one of the local sewing Mesahine
      > reapaie places has a speacal deals for SCA members- I don't know if its
      > noraml thing.. but it more then proves sewing meshens are the norm... and
      > more over probbly that *leaning* to sew is the norm...

      I relly love the SCA- I went to FP a few days ago- and two people brought
      > like f boxed filled with fabric they where to get ride of to move and little
      > everyone- from little glirsl to burly guys in fully body armor was like
      > "Free Fabric! Where! Where!" "I don't know what I'd do with that piece"
      > "Take it anyway" ...
      >

      > As for the sewing itself, I can barely sew on a button by hand. So I've
      > borrowed my mum's sewing machine, deciphered its mysteries and just using
      > that. If anyone nitpicks that it isn't hand sewn, I don't really care. I've
      > made the effort, and put all the work into the project, that's reward enough
      > for me.
      >

      > Recent Activity:

      > Switch to: Text-Only<scanewcomers-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
      > Daily Digest<scanewcomers-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>�
      > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
      > .

    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 10 , May 6, 2010
        On 6 May 2010, at 7:11 AM, S H wrote:

        >> Thanks for the insite here D'vorah! I love the fact that everyone in my
        >> barony is so.. pationt. Personality I figuar I could try to get something
        >> "Gendrc" made for now and then something more accurate once I get my
        >> persona together..... (anyone have advice for Jewish womans outfits of
        >> Southern France prior to 1390 by the way?) rhe very first thing I went to
        >> ended up being a barony event (and roaly cort too!) and no one said anything
        >> event hough I was in nothing more then a Long bulky Skirt, the most
        >> pesantish thing I could find from our modern wardrob, some kind of head
        >> covering I can't remember and something draped around me as a shawl- I knew
        >> I was faking it- but I just didn't have anything elce. Oh and nice big
        >> basket with cloth on it

        Jewish women's outfits in all times and ages had to be, above all, modest. In my area of the world (Yemen, 13th century), that meant (and still means) that one could expose face, hands, feet, and nothing else. It also meant (and still means) that clothing should be loose enough to hide the details of one's figure. You can't disguise the fact that you have breasts, for instance, but you can disguise the exact shape. Everyone knows that you have thighs, but you cover them so that no one can see above the knee -- no one should see the separation of thighs, and no one should see the place where they rejoin, so one must wear a skirt, dress, or long tunic over one's trousers.

        In Europe, the opposite was true, apparently. Modesty in (mid? late?) period Europe seemed to be that the bodice should be tight so that one could see the figure, but could not get to it easily. Hence the fitted bodices and the corsets and all. Breasts could be mostly uncovered, too, because a good deal of in-period thinking was that they were basically there to serve babies their lunches. Caveat: I don't know for how much of our period of interest this was true. It may have only been a late-period or even a post-period thing, which would mean that this isn't a valid statement for your late 14th century persona. Europeans, speak up! :) Jews usually wore what their non-Jewish neighbors wore, barring the (frequent) laws which the non-Jewish communities passed to force the Jews to visually differentiate themselves. Look up whether a southern French Jew was subject to any of those laws, and that'll help.

        But either way, a Jewish woman was required to be modest, and an *observant* Jewish woman held herself to that standard. At the very minimum, one must cover the legs, the upper arms (including elbows; including even when stretching to reach something high), the collarbones and all below them; and the hair if married. If you're portraying a Jewish woman, your first real task will be to determine how observant she is, and then you'll know how she dresses. Email me privately if you want help figuring that out. I'm Jewish and observant in and out of persona.
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6, 2010
          On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 23:37 -0400, Shellie wrote:
          > I have very limited funds and can't go getting what I really want and
          > then when I do make something I am berated.

          I am always so sorry to hear about situations like this! As someone else
          pointed out, the SCA Inc. only requires "an attempt" at pre-1600
          costume. It is against the rules for a local group to demand a
          particular style or culture. As long as you are making a reasonable
          attempt at the historical costume of some culture that was known to
          exist by western Europeans within the time period 600-1600 CE, you are
          complying with SCA rules. If someone tells you that in a particular
          shire or barony you *must* wear garb from a particular country or a
          particular narrow time period, they are wrong, and the rules are on your
          side.

          We have some really wonderful authenticity mavens on this list, and
          their approach is very much to encourage first efforts and offer
          kindness and gentle guidance to improve as you learn at your own pace.
          Unfortunately, out there in the wide world there are a few individuals
          who try to boost their own self-esteem by berating the work of others
          who have less experience. They apparently don't "get" that whole thing
          about flies, honey, and vinegar. :-/

          There are almost certainly people in your locale with a better attitude
          also. We just need to get you started and help you find them.

          For what it's worth.... My very first SCA event was Pennsic 20, back
          in the early 1990s. I showed up at the site with some garb made by my ex
          wife, and it fit so horribly that I literally couldn't wear it. (There
          is probably a life-lesson in this....but that's another subject.) So I
          arrived on site with, for all practical purposes, no garb. I had to buy
          off the rack from merchants. I wanted to do Byzantine persona, but all I
          knew of them was that Constantinople is near the Middle East. So I ended
          up wearing a crazy mishmash of north-European tunic, North American
          pioneer high moccasins, and (to protect my bald head from sun) a Middle
          Eastern kafiya and agal (the traditional Arabic male headgear). I'm
          proud to say I made the agal (the ornamented headband) myself -- my very
          first A&S project. But.... To any reasonable person, I looked like a
          crazy mix of cultures.

          Friends talked me into attending a class in the Enchanted Ground, the
          most authenticity-driven campsite at Pennsic. While I was there, I got
          to talking with several of their folk, including Duke Cariadoc himself.
          By all rights, they could have (with good reason) criticized my garb.
          They didn't. Instead, they chose to say nothing about what I did wrong,
          but rather dug deep to find one or two tiny things I did correctly (such
          as beginning to research my persona while at Pennsic), and they praised
          the small points they could.

          I went away from that encounter feeling terrific. By this point, I had
          figured out that I had done a poor job of garbing myself, but these
          folks had given me hope that there was something I was doing well, also.

          I am still not exactly a garb maven, but I'm wearing a lot better now
          than I was then. They could have easily crushed my attempts and probably
          driven me out of the SCA. Instead, they encouraged me gently. This year
          I will attend my 20th Pennsic, and I'm still having fun.

          Please don't give up -- most of the SCA is more likely to offer you help
          and tutoring rather than criticism. We just need to get you linked up
          with the right people, and this list is a pretty good starting point for
          that.

          Kind regards and welcome,

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , May 6, 2010
            On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 06:39 -0500, D'vorah bint al-Attar wrote:
            > I've also been informed by someone on (mumble -- can't remember which
            > email list) that http://www.historicenterprises.com not only SAYS that
            > their clothing patterns and construction methods are period, but are
            > actually correct. If you wanted to buy one full set of garb and then
            > use that as a pattern to make future sets, I'm told that would be an
            > excellent thing to do.

            I have a tunic and under-tunic that I bought last year at Pennsic from
            Black Swan Designs, which is part of Historic Enterprises. I am
            extremely pleased with the quality of the garments, and I get
            compliments from others almost every time I wear the tunic. Both inner
            and outer are made of 100% linen, and it's wonderfully comfortable in
            summer weather. :-)

            So I second D'vorah's recommendation of these folks. I don't have any
            commercial connection to them -- I'm just a customer who's happy with
            what I bought.

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Maria Buchanan
            Message 5 of 10 , May 6, 2010
              Shellie,
              Go to JoAnns Fabrics online and sign up for their e-newsletter.  When you get it read it.  It will tell you when the patterns go on sale.  I've gotten McCalls and Simplicity patterns for 99 cents at JoAnn's when they are on sale.  Sometimes they are 1.99.  I've never bought a pattern at JoAnn's at full price.
              Maria