Re: [SCA Newcomers] New comer needs some help

  • Cailin Mac Kinnach
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
      Hi Dee,

      The short answer is that 'mercenary' or 'rouge' don't really come with
      fashion templates. For a mercenary, in the field he would wear the unit
      colors of whatever mercenary unit he fought with. For civilian wear, just
      look for german 12th century clothing, and you're on target. And... the same
      for your rouge. If you're trying to be period, rouges and pirates did
      absolutely nothing to stand out. They had a nasty experience of getting
      killed if they did. Another way to put it, people looked on pirates and
      highwaymen much the same way we look on predators of children. So, again,
      rouges did as much as they could to blend in to society.

      http://www.german-hosiery-museum.de/geschichte/geschichte_05.htm

      Just make him something extra long like in the second plate on that site.
      For leggings, he can use light weight solid pajama pants tucked into boots.
      I've been doing that for years, and find it to be comfortable and easy.

      Cheers,

      Cailin

      On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM, deezer <deezer23@...> wrote:

      > It's me, DeAnna again. I hope you are all doing well. I've found my area
      > SCA and I'm going to be going to my first meeting next week. In the mean
      > time my bf and I are researching our persona's. I think I want 12th century
      > German...cuz I love the dresses. He wants to be a rogue or a mercenary. He's
      > not sure what period but he does know that he doesn't want to wear tights.
      > Is there any way you guys could send me pictures or sites I can look at so I
      > can find the cloths he wants. I googled it and didn't really come up with
      > many authentic outfits for the medieval mercenary. The help would be
      > appreciated!! I'm making our outfits so I need all the help I can get.
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Hugs,
      > Dee

    • Robert Bohler
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
        I'd suggest looking at c.1560 german. He could go with a nice doublet and pluderhosen.
        Try having a look at some of the period outfits in the Janet Arnold book "Patterns of Fashion: The cut and construction of clothes for men and women c.1560-1620"

        Ulrich of Greyfells
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
          Hello DeAnna,

          It sounds like you are having fun - good!
          The website associated with this Yahoo list has some excellent resources for
          garb making.
          A quick glance showed me patterns for everything from the basic period
          T-tunic - common to most cultures - to making a cowl - also common, and a
          very good way to look really period without much effort.

          If you're not sure how to get to this website, scroll down to the very
          bottom of these emails to the blue bar.
          There should be a line that says 'Visit Your Group'.
          Click on that, and on the side bar, there will be a bunch of links,
          including one called 'Links'.
          Follow the link called garb, and enjoy!

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands