Re: Greetings from a Newbie (sort of)

  • emma_edwards_sca
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2010
      Stefan,

      Thank you for your most helpful and informative post. I will take some time to explore the site you recommended. Thank you for that.

      Mundanely I am in south west Fort Worth, TX. I have learned since posting my first message here that I have a couple of choices in this area where I might participate in the SCA. Loch Ruadh is the first group I found that seemed like it might have activities close to my mundane home. Elfsea is also an option, from what I have been told.

      In the mundane world I am a playwright, which means I am my own boss and I am almost always available for SCA meetings/activities. I see that there is an officers meeting in Loch Ruadh this week. I understand that the populace are welcome at such meetings. I would just turn up there, but I would rather get in touch with the hospitaler of Loch Ruadh before I just start appearing at meetings/activities.

      When I was in Lochac I was involved in garb making and some needle work. In the mundane world I am an opera trained singer (as well as a playwright) and I would love to become a bard. I do have a lot of garb I have assembled over the years in anticipation of rejoining the SCA. I'm glad to finally have taken a step towards being able to wear my garb again. I have been wearing my garb to renaissance faires, but it's just not the same.

      Today I joined the mailing lists for Ansteorra, Loch Ruadh, Elfsea, and also the bards list for Ansteorra. I'm having a good time reading about the activities and opportunities in Ansteorra. I admit I've done more of that in the last 24 hours than I have spent time writing the 2nd act of my new play. But since I am my own boss, I can take time away from that to reacquaint myself with the SCA.

      Thank you again for all your help. If you have any other tips for me, I will be happy to learn of them.

      Emma

> [...]
      > start fresh. I'm here to get my feet wet again in the SCA. I look
      > forward to learning all about the SCA again. It's been far too long.
      > Thanks for reading. >>>
      >
      > Where are you mundanely? Does this mean you don't live within the area
      > of Loch Ruadh? Or this is just the first nearby local group you came
      > across?
      >
      > You might want to take a walk through my Florilegium website at http://www.florilegium.org
      > . There are over 2300 files there now on a wide variety of SCA and
      > medieval subjects. Even though you've played before you might first
      > want to start in the NEWCOMERS section. There are, for instance, two
      > files there specifically for folks moving from one kingdom to another
      > such as yourself.
      >
      > SCA-trans-msg (18K) 1/ 4/96 How to handle the move from one group to
      > another. For the people in the group too.
      > Othr-Newcomrs-art (16K) 2/23/03 "The 'Other' Newcomers" by Lady
      > Wilhelmina Catharin de Rochelle. For SCA folks moving from one group
      > to another.
      >
      > In the past 16 years, Lochac has become its own kingdom, but it sounds
      > like you were already aware of that. Perhaps this file in the SCA-
      > STORIES section might be of interest:
      > Lochac-hist-msg (49K) 1/31/10 History and description of the Kingdom
      > of Lochac. (Australia, New Zealand)
      > Branch-Names-art (16K) 2/ 9/10 "How branches in the Known World were
      > named" by Lord Domhnall na Moicheirghe.
      > (though this article talks about some SCA names across the Known
      > World, it also details all of them in Lochac. You might find it an
      > interesting read since it will show you how much Lochac has changed
      > since you were there)
      >
      > There are also several files in that section on Ansteorra, your new
      > kingdom.
      >
      > Yes, writing the hospitaler was a good first step. Next you want to
      > try to make some meetings/fighter practices/activities/events
      > depending upon what is in your area and when you are available. There
      > are usually two to three events in the Kingdom of Ansteorra every
      > weekend, but they could be on the other side of the kingdom and many
      > hours drive away.
      >
      > What are your interests in the SCA? Do you already have some medieval
      > clothing (garb) or do you need to make or get some? Many groups do
      > have some loaner clothing or it can often be borrowed from people
      > currently in the SCA.
      >
      > Are you on the Ansteorra mailing list? I would recommend doing that.
      > It sounds like you may have already found the Ansteorra web page, http://www.ansteorra.org
      > If not, go and take a look. There are a number of mail lists that
      > you sign up for on the mail list page there as well as the Ansteorra
      > list. If you are interested in medieval cooking, not necessarily for
      > feasts, but just for cooking for yourself and for learning about
      > medieval food, the SCA-Cooks list is a good one.
      >
      > Please let me know if I can help you further.

    • emma_edwards_sca
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2010
        Kristen,

        Thank you for the welcome back! :)