Fabric?

  • Robert Bohler
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm planning on making a c. 1560 German Doublet and Pluderhosen. I've found a suitable pattern, but wonder what sort of fabrics I should select for my project, i.e. silk, cotton, velvet, linen etc., as well as a general idea of the yardage I'll be looking at. I've managed to find 4yrds of period style Damask for only $20, so that's a healthy start....

      I'm planning upon making this into SCA legal Rapier Armor, so any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks very much
      Robert Bohler
      "Ulrich of Greyfells"

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2010
        Ulrich of Greyfells mentioned:
        <<< I'm planning on making a c. 1560 German Doublet and Pluderhosen. >>>

        I'm not sure exactly how Pluderhosen differ from other hose or pants,
        but I do have this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium,
        and the individual writing this article is a rapier fighter. In fact,
        the guy who started rapier combat in the SCA.
        QD-Trunk-hose-art (8K) 7/19/09 "Quick and Dirty Trunk Hose" by Don
        Tivar Moodragon.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/QD-Trunk-Hose-art.html

        <<< I'm planning upon making this into SCA legal Rapier Armor, so any
        other tips would be greatly appreciated. >>>

        Perhaps these files in the COMBAT-RAPIER section of the Florilegium
        might be of use:
        Rapier-Armor-art (12K) 12/28/00 "A Few Practical Notes on the
        Construction
        of Rapier Armour" by Mistress
        Nicolaa de
        Bracton of Leicester, O.L.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT-RAPIER/Rapier-Armor-art.html
        rapier-armor-msg (25K) 3/ 5/10 Construction of armor for rapier
        combat.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT-RAPIER/rapier-armor-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
      • Robert Bohler
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2010
          Pluderhosen are basically GIANT pants with big billowy folds of fabric in the legs, a formed codpiece and a wierd tailored "monkey butt".