Re: [SCA Newcomers] SCA or MKH Please help

  • desperado9255251
    Message 1 of 49 , Mar 12, 2010
      Thanks for your response, No! I know for sure that the MKH is not choreographed. and they fight with full steel armor and make extreme contact with each blow. they are a true competition tournament promoters group lanching tournaments across the US. But MKH is a tournament group that doesn't meet every weekend to practice with each other. And they are offering large cash prizes at their tournaments for the win. But they are a small company that only sponsors tournaments as a professional sport. They fight exactly as our ancestors did in the tournaments of old. I was looking for a group that I could spar with before I went on to that level of competition. I've been fighting for five years in germany and fought with blunted steel there. But the is Medieval knifgts of honor express they only want the best of the best heavy armor combat fighters. And when I went to one of their practices I don't think that me or many other heavy armor combat fighters are going to beat them either.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

      > <<I've been wanting to join a sword fighting group here in the United States. Ever sense I moved back here from Germany where I got lot of experience in heavy armor cambat fighting. I placed an ad in my local news paper looking for a group to join here. Someone told me about a tournament group called Medieval knights of honor tournament promotions. I went to one of their practices and was really amazed. I'm wanting to see what the SCA has to offer in sword fighting? And just for your imformation I posted a poll on yahoo groups to get help deciding which to choose. SCA or MKH>>
      >
      > Sorry about that, not sure why my reply didn't work.
      > If you are looking for actual medieval sword techniques, the SCA may not be the best place to look. There are people in the SCA who study, teach and use actual medieval techniques, but the vast majority of SCA combat is a more modern sports style. In some case, medieval techniques are forbidden for safety reasons or only allowed on a very limited level. On the other hand, SCA combat is full contact, full speed, and un-choreographed. I don't know anything about MKH, but given that it's called "tournament promotions", I would assume it's a performance group, which might use more stage combat techniques as well as limited speed, limited contact, and a certain amount of choreography.
      >
      > If you can let us know where you are, I might be able to put you into contact with some of the people who teach actual medieval techniques so you can talk to them directly. My husband is part of a tournament company within the SCA that uses both period techniques and period tournament forms for their activities.
      >
      > Brangwayna Morgan
      > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
      > Lancaster, PA

    • ann baltrush
      Message 49 of 49 , Mar 21, 2010
        BRAVO Justin,
        I am with you ,ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!! Ann of Towers