Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question

  • Bambi TBNL
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
      My husband wanted to do the same, to come and "watch". I had to explain to him that it was not a renfaire it was the SCA. We were not a "game" you could buy tickets to watch but we were a participatory sport, and if he did not want to participate, he has to at least blend into the back ground so as not to distract others. wearingan attempt at pre 1600 clothing was not only polite, it was neccessary. he groumblrd at first.
      I gave him the choice of loaner garb or finding something that was passable. He was horrified @ wearing clothing someone else had actually worn..( he is funny like that considering he played team sports and was in the school choir and did that before...) He ended up with finding something"passable, scrubs pants and a t-tunic...(sigh, I do a LOT of sewing  and that was all he would even consider) well at least they WERE drawstring pants... one event was all it took to get him to be a bit more flexible about clothing.
      Might I suggest , if your lady is similarly overwhelmed by the concept of wearing garb before she has had a chance to look things over and make a choice,(there are many choices) is to look for a plain cotton or linen dress (you can some times find them inexspenviely as swimsuit coverups)with no collar and no cecoration. a belt and a ladr square of white, light cotton fabric will work as a veil. it is not a big investment but would also be suable for later, if she decided to upgrade, as an undersress or something.Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

      I am made for great things by GOD
      and walk with Pride!!!!
      Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
      see me dance
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

      ________________________________
      From: NCSaint02@...
      Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:22:50 +0000
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Question

      Greetings and Salutations,

      I am a new member about to join SCA. I intend to go to events and play out my persona as much as possible. My question is about my spouse.
      She has stated whe would be interested in going to the events to watch only. She has no desire to be part of the experience, just spectate.

      Question: Is this acceptable? Can my wife go to an event just to watch, like a ren fair, or do all attendees have to participate?

      Soon to be in service,

      Nicholas

    • Callahan Patrick
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
        I don't "participate", so much, I like to watch and see the stuff people have made. Watching the bards is always fun. I wear my attempt at pre-1700th century clothing. I love to see the clothing and the pageantry of the whole thing. I set up a canopy, usually near the list field, and try to keep pre-1700th century kind of thing things around. I like time period games, so I will usually have a table and a chest with games in case any one is interested. I just relax and enjoy the atmosphere the other “good” SCA people have created.
      • Marlene Ladouceur
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
          Dia duit!

          Just in case: there`s no "good" or "bad" SCA people ;0) Just a bunch of people who like medieval stuffs. We all have different interests in different ways and that`s why I like this group of people. The way you are participating is not important. Simply wear a "medieval period people" costume and enjoy if you like so! Everyone is an "actor". Like a lot or like a bit but talk about it! ;0)

          Lady �adaoin U� Brien

          chronicler in Shire La Selve d`Aure

          East Kingdom

          Pr�cepte de vie "�adaoin" no.56 "La diff�rence fait de nous des �tres sp�ciaux et pr�cieux."

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: callahanpatrick@...
          Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 06:43:29 +0000

          I don't "participate", so much, I like to watch and see the stuff people have made. Watching the bards is always fun. I wear my attempt at pre-1700th century clothing. I love to see the clothing and the pageantry of the whole thing. I set up a canopy, usually near the list field, and try to keep pre-1700th century kind of thing things around. I like time period games, so I will usually have a table and a chest with games in case any one is interested. I just relax and enjoy the atmosphere the other �good� SCA people have created.

        • D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2010
            On 6 Mar 2010, at 12:43 AM, Callahan Patrick wrote:

            > I don't "participate", so much, I like to watch and see the stuff people have made. Watching the bards is always fun. I wear my attempt at pre-1700th century clothing. I love to see the clothing and the pageantry of the whole thing. I set up a canopy, usually near the list field, and try to keep pre-1700th century kind of thing things around. I like time period games, so I will usually have a table and a chest with games in case any one is interested. I just relax and enjoy the atmosphere the other “good” SCA people have created.

            If you're in garb, you're participating. You don't have to do anything beyond that one basic requirement to be considered a participant. Other stuff's fun too, but if it's not what you're into, then you don't have to do it.
            D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
            dvorah@...
            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
          • Kristen
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
              My friend is wanting to know who or what Martian Fane is and what kingdom they come from. I'm not sure of the spelling, I'm very sure I spelled it wrong, but would appreciate an answer to this conundrum.

              Thank you

              Valentina