Re: [SCA Newcomers] Watching, Not Participating. WAS: Question

  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5 1:32 PM
      EXCELLENT reply!!!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "D'vorah bint al-Attar" <dvorah@...>
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 5, 2010 2:15:25 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Watching, Not Participating. WAS: Question

      On 5 Mar 2010, at 8:22 AM, ncsaint02 wrote:

      > Greetings and Salutations,
      >
      > I am a new member about to join SCA. I intend to go to events and play out my persona as much as possible. My question is about my spouse.
      > She has stated whe would be interested in going to the events to watch only. She has no desire to be part of the experience, just spectate.
      >
      > Question: Is this acceptable? Can my wife go to an event just to watch, like a ren fair, or do all attendees have to participate?
      >
      > Soon to be in service,
      >
      > Nicholas

      Your wife doesn't have to speak forsoothly (and in fact, it pains most folks when one tries, I've observed); she doesn't have to learn rapier or sword work; she doesn't have to cook from period cookbooks only; she doesn't have to raise sheep, shear them, spin the wool into yarn/thread, weave it into fabric, and/or sew the fabric into clothing. She doesn't have to spend a single second "in persona," or come up with a persona, or even come up with a documentable name and register it. All that stuff is great fun, but it's not required.

      The only real requirement for attending an SCA event is an attempt at pre-1600s clothing. If your wife makes an attempt to wear medieval clothing, then she IS participating, and we shall be very glad to have her among us. If she doesn't do that, then I doubt anyone would actually kick her out. However, most people will either ignore her entirely, or giggle and point as if she's naked (because she is, by our lights), or gently encourage her to go and visit the chatelaine and borrow some Gold Key garb (free, but there's usually a $10 deposit per garment, returnable when the garment makes it back safely to the Gold Key).

      Remember being a little kid, playing pretend with the other little kids? It was fun because everybody was involved. If some kid hung around while you were playing pretend, but wouldn't play themselves, or even make an attempt to join in, they were sometimes viewed as being a bit creepy. The same thing happens on the day of any costume-wearing holiday -- Hallowe'en, Purim, Mardi Gras/Carnival, and so on. People who aren't wearing costumes, or at least a mask or some face paint, made the kids who were pretending in costume feel self-conscious and inhibited in their expression. And worst of all, the one who's not costumed and/or playing pretend, depending on the setting, always felt left out. Eventually they either joined in, or they got bored and went off to play solitaire or jump rope all alone. Not a lot of fun for them, and I bet it wouldn't be much fun for your wife, either.

      Again, all she'd be asked to do would be to put on something that was sort-of, kind-of, almost, similar to pre-1600s garb. She can probably even find something in her size at the chatelaine's booth, if she asks, so she wouldn't have to buy or make anything of her own.
      D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      dvorah@...
      Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
    • Bambi TBNL
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5 3:53 PM
        My husband wanted to do the same, to come and "watch". I had to explain to him that it was not a renfaire it was the SCA. We were not a "game" you could buy tickets to watch but we were a participatory sport, and if he did not want to participate, he has to at least blend into the back ground so as not to distract others. wearingan attempt at pre 1600 clothing was not only polite, it was neccessary. he groumblrd at first.
        I gave him the choice of loaner garb or finding something that was passable. He was horrified @ wearing clothing someone else had actually worn..( he is funny like that considering he played team sports and was in the school choir and did that before...) He ended up with finding something"passable, scrubs pants and a t-tunic...(sigh, I do a LOT of sewing  and that was all he would even consider) well at least they WERE drawstring pants... one event was all it took to get him to be a bit more flexible about clothing.
        Might I suggest , if your lady is similarly overwhelmed by the concept of wearing garb before she has had a chance to look things over and make a choice,(there are many choices) is to look for a plain cotton or linen dress (you can some times find them inexspenviely as swimsuit coverups)with no collar and no cecoration. a belt and a ladr square of white, light cotton fabric will work as a veil. it is not a big investment but would also be suable for later, if she decided to upgrade, as an undersress or something.Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

        I am made for great things by GOD
        and walk with Pride!!!!
        Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad
        see me dance
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HMtOoXtMs0

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5 10:43 PM
          I don't "participate", so much, I like to watch and see the stuff people have made. Watching the bards is always fun. I wear my attempt at pre-1700th century clothing. I love to see the clothing and the pageantry of the whole thing. I set up a canopy, usually near the list field, and try to keep pre-1700th century kind of thing things around. I like time period games, so I will usually have a table and a chest with games in case any one is interested. I just relax and enjoy the atmosphere the other “good” SCA people have created.
        • Marlene Ladouceur
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6 5:56 AM
            Dia duit!

            Just in case: there`s no "good" or "bad" SCA people ;0) Just a bunch of people who like medieval stuffs. We all have different interests in different ways and that`s why I like this group of people. The way you are participating is not important. Simply wear a "medieval period people" costume and enjoy if you like so! Everyone is an "actor". Like a lot or like a bit but talk about it! ;0)

            Lady �adaoin U� Brien

            chronicler in Shire La Selve d`Aure

            East Kingdom

            Pr�cepte de vie "�adaoin" no.56 "La diff�rence fait de nous des �tres sp�ciaux et pr�cieux."

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            From: callahanpatrick@...
            Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 06:43:29 +0000

            I don't "participate", so much, I like to watch and see the stuff people have made. Watching the bards is always fun. I wear my attempt at pre-1700th century clothing. I love to see the clothing and the pageantry of the whole thing. I set up a canopy, usually near the list field, and try to keep pre-1700th century kind of thing things around. I like time period games, so I will usually have a table and a chest with games in case any one is interested. I just relax and enjoy the atmosphere the other �good� SCA people have created.

          • D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6 5:44 PM
              On 6 Mar 2010, at 12:43 AM, Callahan Patrick wrote:

              > I don't "participate", so much, I like to watch and see the stuff people have made. Watching the bards is always fun. I wear my attempt at pre-1700th century clothing. I love to see the clothing and the pageantry of the whole thing. I set up a canopy, usually near the list field, and try to keep pre-1700th century kind of thing things around. I like time period games, so I will usually have a table and a chest with games in case any one is interested. I just relax and enjoy the atmosphere the other “good” SCA people have created.

              If you're in garb, you're participating. You don't have to do anything beyond that one basic requirement to be considered a participant. Other stuff's fun too, but if it's not what you're into, then you don't have to do it.
              D'vorah bint al-Attar
              Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
              dvorah@...
              Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
            • Kristen
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
                My friend is wanting to know who or what Martian Fane is and what kingdom they come from. I'm not sure of the spelling, I'm very sure I spelled it wrong, but would appreciate an answer to this conundrum.

                Thank you

                Valentina