Stefan's Florilegium files for March

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for March detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World.

      If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
      monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post
      it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter
      on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the
      links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web
      version of this article, please email me.

      For those going to Gulf Wars this year, I will again be teaching my
      class on the Florilegium on Wednesday and Friday. Find out the history
      of the Florilegium, what it is good for and what it isn't and some
      useful hints on using it. On Tuesday and Thursday I will again be
      teaching my hands-on pewter casting classes. Learn how to carve your
      own molds in soapstone in the morning class and then use that mold to
      make some castings in the afternoon class. And lastly, I am helping to
      organize a panel discussion on Wednesday for newcomers to the SCA.
      Come get your questions answered.

      Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on
      any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are
      willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. More
      information and minimal advertising has been my goal and I don't wish
      to change that.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      ---------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:

      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      Diamonds-art "Diamonds - Rare and Precious"
      by Lady Rutilia Fausta.
      In the COMBAY section:
      Lite-Lg-Hrnss-art "Light Leg Harness: Tube-reinforced Gamboised
      Cuisses" by Baron Timothy Garagchan
      o'Leitrim.
      In the COMBAT-RAPIER section:
      Square-Bucklr-art "To make a Square Target In the Style of
      Marozzo or DiGrassi" by Don Tivar Moodragon
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Desen-Y-Horse-art "Equestrian Games - desensitizing your horse,
      an intro" by Lady Isabell Winter.
      In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Khazaria-art "Eating patterns in pre 12th Century Khazaria
      among observant Jews" by Baron Khadir bar
      Yosef Ha-Kuzari.
      In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
      Sextain-art "Sextain: Sestina by any other name" by Lady
      Ingeborg bildrbriótr Ulfsdottir.
      In the PERSONAL CARE section:
      Thorns-o-Rose-art "Thorns on a Rose - The History and Historical
      Epidemiology of Syphilis in Renaissance
      Europe" by THLady Maimuna al-Bukhariyya.
      In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
      P-Gardn-Ideas-art "Incorporating Period Garden ideas in your
      garden or encampment" by Metressa Jadwiga
      Zajaczkowa.
      In the SCA-STORIES section:
      Branch-Names-art "How branches in the Known World were named"
      by Lord Domhnall na Moicheirghe.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      bruise-cream-msg Period and SCA bruise creams.
      horses-msg Medieval horses. Horses in the SCA.
      Lochac-hist-msg History and description of the Kingdom
      of Lochac. (Australia, New Zealand)
      p-menus-msg Examples of medieval feast menus.
      presrvd-lemons-msg Dried, pickled and salted preserved lemons.
      soapstone-msg Use of Soapstone in period. Modern sources.
      whale-meat-msg Use of whale and porpoise meat in period.
      Recipes. Substitutions.
      ---
      Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 11:20 PM
        Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April detailing what is
        new in the Florilegium this month.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
        researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
        little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
        introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
        academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
        have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
        published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
        Known World. A number of people indicated they would send me articles
        or class handouts at Gulf Wars but I have yet to get them. :-(

        If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
        monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post
        it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter
        on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the
        links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web
        version of this article, please email me.

        Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on
        any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are
        willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. Each
        new ad click seems to add a few more cents to the total.

        Thanks,
        Stefan

        ---------

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the ACCESSORIES section:
        Rubies-Spphrs-art "Rubies and Sapphires" by Lady Rutilia Fausta.
        Viking-Beads-art "Viking Beads" by Lady Sileas ni Dhomhnaill of
        Goldenoak.
        In the CLOTHING section:
        merch-shoes-msg Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
        In the COMBAT-RAPIER section:
        rapier-armor-msg Construction of armor for rapier combat.
        In the CRAFTS section:
        LMM-Repousse-art "Leather Mallet Medallion, Repoussé" by
        Lady Ingeborg bildsbriótr Ulfsdottir.
        In the EQUESTRIAN section:
        Women-Riding-art "Women Riding in Medieval Times – Practical
        Experiences" by Lady Isabell Winter.
        In the FOOD section:
        crockpot-dshs-msg Medieval dishes which cook well in a
        slow-cooker/crockpot.
        DYKIP-Brekfst-art "Did You Know it's Period? Part 7: Time for
        Breakfast" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
        In the SCA-CAMPING section:
        cmp-ckng-bags-art Camp cooking using boil-in bags for quick
        meals by Baroness Claire Shayhan.
        In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
        oilcloth-msg Period oiled or waxed, waterproof cloth.

        Here are the updated files for this month:
        fd-France-msg Food of medieval France. References.
        gingerbread-msg Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
        gums-resins-msg Period use of plant gums and resins. Myrrh,
        mastic, frankincense, camphor.
        hais-msg A medieval, Middle East sweet made of dates,
        bread crumbs, ground nuts, and sugar.
        kitchen-clean-msg Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA event.
        London-msg Medieval points of interest in and around
        London.
        macrame-msg Period macrame. References.
        olives-msg Period olives. Processing fresh olives.
        pewter-msg Pewter in period. References. Sources.
        raingear-msg Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
        root-veg-msg Medieval and period root vegetables.
        SCA-gays-msg Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in the SCA.
        SCA-transport-msg Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
        transportation.
        shields-msg SCA and period shields.
        snow-msg "Snow", a white, creamy confection often
        served with wafers.
        ---

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11
          Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

          Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for March detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

          I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

          You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're sent something, but not gotten a response, likely I didn't get it or sometimes things get lost. So please feel free to email me again. Ut's also possible that I'm waiting for some more info from you and you've missed my message.

          If you see an article in a kingdom, guild or local newsletter that you think others might find useful or interesting, please consider sending me a note about it. I would appreciate the author's contact info if you have it. I will not add an article to the Florilegium without the author's permission, but many authors are too inhibited to send me their own work. If you like an article, then chances are other SCA folks will as well.

          Thanks,
          Stefan
          ---------
          A Blending of the Past and Present

          Over the past twenty-four years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

          I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

          Since few people seem to use the RSS feed, I've stopped updating it. If you do use it, let me know and I'll reconsider this.

          Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

          THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

          Here are the new files for this month:
          In the ACCESSORIES section:
          E-Period-Hats-art "Early Period Hats" by Kurios Halfdan 'Two Bears' Ôzurrson.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/E-Period-Hats-art.html
          In the CHIVALRY section:
          Chivalry-OaE-art "Chivalry: It's Origins and Evolution" by Sir Valtorr of Oslo, Knight of AnTir.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHIVALRY/Chivalry-OaE-art.html
          In the FOOD-DAIRY:
          Almond-Milk-art "Almonds & Almond Milk: A Few Questions Answered" by Lady Murienne l'aloiere.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-DAIRY/Almond-Milk-art.html
          In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
          taro-msg Use of the taro plant in period.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/taro-msg.html
          In the TRAVEL section:
          Dog-Pak-Sadle-art "Reconstruction of a 16th Century Dog Pack Saddle" by Lady Rachael of Bhakail.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/Dog-Pak-Sadle-art.html

          Here are the updated files for this month.
          p-spice-trade-msg The period spice trade. Routes, methods.
          peerage-cerem-msg Thoughts on SCA Peerage ceremonies.
          ribs-msg Period rib recipes.
          SCA-royalty-msg SCA Royalty and what they should be.
          seafood-msg Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
          whole-pig-msg Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
          ----
          Copyright 2014, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

          <end>
          --------
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris