New fighter

  • John M
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
      Hey all, I'm a pretty inexperienced fighter in West Virginia and the heavy fighting has dropped down to nil in my local group, so I don't have a plethora of more experienced fighters to ask. So, I have a couple of quick questions.

      First off, how do you make a mace? Google has resulted in nothing when I was looking for it.

      Secondly, is there a pattern for a surcoat outside of "make a big rectangle. Cut a hole in it. Belt it on"?

      Thanks!
      John
    • cailin.sca@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
        John, where at in WV? I'm in WV too. And I'll send directions for the mace once I get home.
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
          Greets!
          I am not a heavy fighter but wanted to suggest a SCA friendly site that is full of information on all things SCA. You can find it at: www.florilegium.org . Also, if you don't find what you are seeking there, I would suggest that you contact one of the local heavy officers within my barony. They are full of info and always looking to help out others. You can find them listed on the baronial website for Endless Hills at http://endlesshills.aethelmearc.net

          Hope this helps you at least minimally.

          -Dawn

          Hey all, I'm a pretty inexperienced fighter in West Virginia and the heavy fighting has dropped down to nil in my local group, so I don't have a plethora of more experienced fighters to ask. So, I have a couple of quick questions.

          First off, how do you make a mace? Google has resulted in nothing when I was looking for it.

          Secondly, is there a pattern for a surcoat outside of "make a big rectangle. Cut a hole in it. Belt it on"?

          Thanks!
          John

        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
            John what your wanting depends on what style. Mine is done in a saracen style which is basically a tunic with slits up the front and back up to about crotch area so I could sit on a horse. Just use a good sturdy material and follow a tunic pattern. Sleeves are optional. Some other styles really are the rectangle cut a hole and belt it on.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

            Who dares, wins!

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2010
              Okay! Home now!

              So, here's a quick resource for you:

              list for the kingdom regional army for aehtelmaerc. Its not a busy list, but
              you can definitely find other fighters there, and information about the
              occasional large practice.

              Again, let me know where you're at in the kingdom, and I'll get you in touch
              with the nearest group of fighters.

              As for your mace, you have a couple of options. The first is a flanged mace,
              and I've seen them done a number of ways.

              Relevant rule:
              If the weapon has a head, it shall not be constructed of solely rigid
              materials. The head shall be firmly and securely attached to the haft. The
              head shall allow at least a 1⁄2 inch (12.7 mm) of progressive give between
              the striking surface and the weapon haft.

              Now, I'm going to assume you want a single handed mace, and not a two handed
              one.

              You start with your rattan haft, and on the striking head, wrap it in blue
              foam to satisfy the 1/2 inch of progressive give. don't compress it too much
              in taping and lose your give.

              Next, make your flanges. You can split two pieces of rattan in half to make
              four striking surfaces, and have a simple, rudimentary mace. From there,
              you can shave down those splits so that they are angled. Another option, is
              to buy four of the rubber door wedges, and tape those onto your foam. They
              work well, and look decent.

              Or you can go my route: :D

              My mace is a rattan haft with an extra long Kong rubber dog ball on the end.
              In writting, that sounds rediculous, but it doesn't look bad at all.

              http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750610&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5060568&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=B4DE2C64-C881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

              <http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750610&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5060568&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=B4DE2C64-C881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA>This
              is the one you want. Its very straight forward, just shove it on the
              rattan, tape at the top and bottom, (not really neccessary. its not going
              anywhere), add a thrusting tip if you like, and use!

              Hope this helps!

              Cailin

              On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM, John M <kumathepainted@...> wrote:

              > Hey all, I'm a pretty inexperienced fighter in West Virginia and the heavy
              > fighting has dropped down to nil in my local group, so I don't have a
              > plethora of more experienced fighters to ask. So, I have a couple of quick
              > questions.
              >
              > First off, how do you make a mace? Google has resulted in nothing when I
              > was looking for it.
              >
              > Secondly, is there a pattern for a surcoat outside of "make a big
              > rectangle. Cut a hole in it. Belt it on"?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > John

            • John M
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
                All right, awesome. I appreciate the quick and informative responses; thanks so much!

                Cailin, I'm in Port Oasis. I know the closest group is Blackstone and I'll be going to go drop by their fighter practice this weekend. I just wanted to put a mace together beforehand so I can practice a little bit before White Hart.

                The Kong doesn't sound ridiculous at all. I've got a dog and I bought a Kong for him a few years ago. It's shaped about right and I can imagine it makes a good stick to thump with. And, frankly, if it can survive a few years with my dog, I'm sure it's practically indestructible. :-D

                Thanks again!
                John

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

                > Okay! Home now!
                >
                > So, here's a quick resource for you:

                > list for the kingdom regional army for aehtelmaerc. Its not a busy list, but
                > you can definitely find other fighters there, and information about the
                > occasional large practice.
                >
                > Again, let me know where you're at in the kingdom, and I'll get you in touch
                > with the nearest group of fighters.
                >
                > As for your mace, you have a couple of options. The first is a flanged mace,
                > and I've seen them done a number of ways.
                >
                > Relevant rule:
                > If the weapon has a head, it shall not be constructed of solely rigid
                > materials. The head shall be firmly and securely attached to the haft. The
                > head shall allow at least a 1⁄2 inch (12.7 mm) of progressive give between
                > the striking surface and the weapon haft.
                >
                > Now, I'm going to assume you want a single handed mace, and not a two handed
                > one.
                >
                > You start with your rattan haft, and on the striking head, wrap it in blue
                > foam to satisfy the 1/2 inch of progressive give. don't compress it too much
                > in taping and lose your give.
                >
                > Next, make your flanges. You can split two pieces of rattan in half to make
                > four striking surfaces, and have a simple, rudimentary mace. From there,
                > you can shave down those splits so that they are angled. Another option, is
                > to buy four of the rubber door wedges, and tape those onto your foam. They
                > work well, and look decent.
                >
                > Or you can go my route: :D
                >
                > My mace is a rattan haft with an extra long Kong rubber dog ball on the end.
                > In writting, that sounds rediculous, but it doesn't look bad at all.
                >
                > http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750610&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5060568&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=B4DE2C64-C881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
                >
                > <http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750610&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5060568&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=B4DE2C64-C881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA>This
                > is the one you want. Its very straight forward, just shove it on the
                > rattan, tape at the top and bottom, (not really neccessary. its not going
                > anywhere), add a thrusting tip if you like, and use!
                >
                > Hope this helps!
                >
                > Cailin
                >
                > On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM, John M <kumathepainted@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hey all, I'm a pretty inexperienced fighter in West Virginia and the heavy
                > > fighting has dropped down to nil in my local group, so I don't have a
                > > plethora of more experienced fighters to ask. So, I have a couple of quick
                > > questions.
                > >
                > > First off, how do you make a mace? Google has resulted in nothing when I
                > > was looking for it.
                > >
                > > Secondly, is there a pattern for a surcoat outside of "make a big
                > > rectangle. Cut a hole in it. Belt it on"?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > John

              • Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
                  John M wrote:
                  > All right, awesome. I appreciate the quick and informative responses; thanks so much!

                  Another resource for fighters is Armour Archive <http://www.armourarchive.org/>
                  and also Legio Draconis (yeah, it's Middle Kingdom-centric, but...) at
                  <http://www.legiodraconis.org>.

                  Finnseach
                  New female fighter for the Midrealm
                  --
                  "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you know,
                  sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough chocolate in the
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
                    Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov said:
                    <<< John what your wanting depends on what style. Mine is done in a
                    saracen style which is basically a tunic with slits up the front...>>>

                    LoL. It wasn't until I got to that mention of "tunic" that I realized
                    Pomestnik wasn't talking about a different style of mace that the
                    Saracens had developed.

                    Stefan
                    --------
                  • John M
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 26, 2010
                      You mean tunics aren't a type of mace? ;)

                      > Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov said:
                      > <<< John what your wanting depends on what style. Mine is done in a
                      > saracen style which is basically a tunic with slits up the front...>>>
                      >
                      > LoL. It wasn't until I got to that mention of "tunic" that I realized
                      > Pomestnik wasn't talking about a different style of mace that the
                      > Saracens had developed.
                      >
                      > Stefan
                      > --------

                    • christopher chastain