Re: SCA Membership

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
      Shelley asked:

      <<< Please indulge me another newcomer question...>>>

      Certainly. I believe that answering such questions is one of the
      purposes of this group and I'm sure that for whatever question you are
      asking there are others here who might like to ask it, but don't know
      they have that question or are afraid to speak up.

      <<< We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is
      it that we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an
      optional slot for it on the membership page. I did not want to use
      our mundane names only and then forever have all official documents
      and correspondence in those names. >>>

      As others have explained, your SCA persona stuff is separate from your
      21st Century membership. This is because, among other things, it can
      take a year for your name or your device to wind it's way through the
      procedure, even if it gets approved the first time.

      I do recommend that folks work on their first name fairly soon after
      beginning to play. This keeps folks from first learning your regular
      name and then quickly having to learn another. You don't however need
      a full name or even that first name serve as an officer or get an
      award. Your AOA (Award of Arms) is likely to be the first SCA award
      you get. My AOA scroll is made out to "Stephen of Bryn Gwlad" because
      I hadn't registered or even figured out the rest of my name, much less
      its correct spelling at that time. I believe I had already been or was
      about to be my barony's Minister of A&S.

      For more on AoAs:
      Earng-Your-AoA-art (6K) 4/18/02 "Earning your AoA in the SCA" by Lady
      Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Earng-Your-AoA-art.html
      Getting-an-AoA-art (9K) 6/22/98 "How to Get an AoA" by Gunnora
      Hallakarva.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Getting-an-AoA-art.html

      Stefan
      --------