SCA names question

  • Robert Bohler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2010
      Hello

      Just wondering if for my official SCA name, I have to have a first and last name. OR, can I just call myself "Ulrich of Greyfells", as I play within the canton of Greyfells where nobody else is named Ulrich?

      Thanks
      Robert Bohler
      "Ulrich ..............."

    • cailin.sca@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2010
        I'm not a hearld, but I think or placename name works.
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Just wondering if for my official SCA name, I have to have a first and last name. OR, can I just call myself "Ulrich of Greyfells", as I play within the canton of Greyfells where nobody else is named Ulrich?

        Thanks
        Robert Bohler
        "Ulrich ..............."

      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2010
          Hello,
          You can use one or the other.  We have several people in my barony with names like Michael of Seleone.  So it's perfectly acceptable.  Hope this helps.

          Kristen

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2010
            Quoting Robert Bohler <robler2@...>:

            > Hello
            >
            > Just wondering if for my official SCA name, I have to have a first
            > and last name. OR, can I just call myself "Ulrich of Greyfells", as
            > I play within the canton of Greyfells where nobody else is named
            > Ulrich?

            Absolutely. The concept of "surname" is really only a late period
            concept. "Ulrich the tailor of Greyfells" -- I'm not a herald, but
            it's my understanding that by-names and place-names were the rule
            rather than the exception for most of the SCA period.

            jerusha (who originally started out as Jerusha of Kilgore and then
            turned it into a surname)
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...