Re: [SCA Newcomers] Northern IL

  • Robert Bohler
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
      Every organization has a few unsavory people. I think it would be unfair to judge the SCA as a whole, based upon those few individuals. I would definitly recommend trying another group before making a decision not to join...

      Just my 2 cents...

      Robert Bohler
      "Ulrich of Greyfells"
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
        On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 18:30 +0000, anne_shisler78 wrote:
        > I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where
        > you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join
        > the grop where which you live.

        You don't officially join a group; SCA membership is at the corporate
        level, at least for the U.S. So your SCA membership is valid at any
        kingdom and any local group.

        There are certain situations, such as when the populace is polled by the
        kingdom or by corporate to approve things like land boundary changes,
        when your group-of-residence matters as to where you are eligible to
        vote. Usually, even that situation has some flexibility if you can
        attest that you "live over here but play over there."

        Attendance at SCA activities in any group is open to any person who
        complies with SCA and kingdom policy. That rule is in the Governing
        Documents at the corporate level, in fact.

        > But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and
        > not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the
        > sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

        I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Different local groups,
        being made up of different individuals, can have differing personalities
        and group dynamics.

        You are certainly welcome to play with any local group within whatever
        driving distance you find reasonable. In fact, around here it is not
        uncommon for someone to play with more than one group, because people go
        where the activities are that you like to do. Our shire has a lot of A&S
        and service-junkie types, but as yet only a few fighters and dancers.
        But we have a lot of beekeepers. So someone wanting to dance might play
        in a neighboring shire where they dance frequently, but might play with
        us for the [unofficial] beekeeping guild.

        Another thing to consider is whether you've met a full cross-section of
        the populace of your local group. Maybe the people with whom you aren't
        getting along are just a minority. It happens.

        There are also cases in the SCA where people who are basically decent
        folk simply have poor social graces around newcomers. Believe it or not,
        I've encountered situations in which I felt unwelcome even though I was
        an SCA veteran...and the reason was that the local group was full of
        people who just didn't know how to welcome outsiders. They were nice
        people, but it never occurred to them to introduce themselves or go out
        of their way to welcome newcomers, because they were too comfortable
        within their own circle of acquaintances. They didn't mean to be
        unwelcoming; they just didn't know any better and didn't realize they
        were giving that impression.

        I won't presume to second-guess you on your experiences with the group.
        As someone else said, within *any* large organization there are going to
        be some bad apples. I find that the SCA is about 98% nice people and 2%
        jerks -- but with 30,000 members, that translates to 600 jerks! Maybe
        you have encountered a few of them. In that case, by all means find a
        nicer circle of friends and avoid the bad apples. My intent here is not
        to contradict you, but only to suggest that it may be more complex than
        just people being intentionally rude. Perhaps they are rude without
        intending to be, out of social ineptness.

        But, returning to your original question, you are welcome to play in any
        local group to which you are willing to commute.

        Kind regards,

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
          On 23 Feb 2010, at 12:30 PM, anne_shisler78 wrote:

          > Hello Fellow SCA Members.
          >
          > I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

          As it's been told to me, your geography places you in Kingdom A, Barony B, Shire C. Your heart may place you in Kingdom X, Barony Y, Shire Z. You have the right to play anywhere that you enjoy, though for practical reasons, it's wise to play with a group that you can join physically at least a few times a year -- no use calling yourself a member of Lochac (Australia and New Zealand) if you live in Drachenwald (Europe)!

          All that said, though, I hope it's not northern Illinois that you find rude. Admittedly I'm new and I don't know very many people in this area, but the people that I have met (I'm in northern Illinois, Chicago to be exact) were uniformly polite, welcoming, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable and/or trying to become more so. I hope that you and I haven't met, so that I wouldn't be one of the ones contributing to your current impression of us. I also hope that you get a chance to meet more people so that whoever the rude ones are can be shown to be in the minority.
          D'vorah bint al-Attar
          Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
          dvorah@...
          Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
        • Dave Roland
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 24, 2010
            I used to be a Chatelain in the Northern, IL area. I'm now back in the Middle Kingdom in South Central Indiana.

            First of all as you have already been told, you are more than welcome to play in the SCA where ever you would like. If you wish you may contact me off list and I will be happy to make contacts for you in the other groups in Northern Illinois.

            Secondly, having been in the SCA off and on for some many years it has been my experience that most groups are good groups but not all groups are proactive about welcoming newcomers and instead some choose to let the newcomer "warm-up" to them. This of course in my opinion is the wrong way to go about it. And then of course there can just be personality conflicts.

            As I said, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to make contacts for you in the Northern Illinois area.

            Lord Ian the Green

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "anne_shisler78" <anne_shisler78@...> wrote:

            > Hello Fellow SCA Members.
            >
            > I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

          • Maria Buchanan
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 24, 2010
              Hi Anne,

              I'm very sorry you have found a group near you that you don't like playing with.
              You can join the SCA and play with whatever group you want to.  However, your numbers will still go to the group where you reside.  I have seen people who get a PO Box if it is someplace where they are close enough for that to work.  They register with the PO Box address and their numbers then go to the group where the PO box is.

              Maria