SCA Membership

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
      Please indulge me another newcomer question...

      We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is it that we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an optional slot for it on the membership page. I did not want to use our mundane names only and then forever have all official documents and correspondence in those names.

      Gratefully,
      Shelley
    • ui Cainnech
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
        If it's *official*, you're probably better off having it addressed to your
        legal names (saves the postal carrier a headache). My experience is that
        most forms, documents, &c. that pertain to your persona ask for both your
        name and your persona (or society, or period, &c.) name. To kind of put it
        in perspective: you can register and use multiple persona names (meaning
        that you're not stuck with a name).

        YiS,
        Ciaran

        On 22 February 2010 13:15, Shelley <sheteaches@...> wrote:

        > Please indulge me another newcomer question...
        >
        > We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is it that
        > we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an optional slot for it
        > on the membership page. I did not want to use our mundane names only and
        > then forever have all official documents and correspondence in those names.

      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
          Quoting Shelley <sheteaches@...>:

          > Please indulge me another newcomer question...
          >
          > We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is
          > it that we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an
          > optional slot for it on the membership page. I did not want to use
          > our mundane names only and then forever have all official documents
          > and correspondence in those names.

          All Official Documents with the registry Office are always in your
          modern name. Any SCA documents like awards scrolls would be in your
          SCA name. In the archives on this group, there's a "don't list" --
          things not to do in your first year -- picking a name is on it; but
          that's personal preference. Some people come into the SCA knowing
          what they want their name to be; others it takes a little longer. And
          some folks change their names!

          jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
          Division of Science and Math
        • Nicole E. Miller
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
            It is not a required field for membership. I have seen many cards at Troll that don't have an actual SCA name on them. In fact on the membership form itself it specifically states "SCA Name: (Optional - For reference only. Society names are registered through the College of Heralds.)

            Once you have a name, you can either get a reprint of your card with your new name on it or when you renew.

            Sian
            ---- ui Cainnech <ocainnech@...> wrote:

            =============
            If it's *official*, you're probably better off having it addressed to your
            legal names (saves the postal carrier a headache). My experience is that
            most forms, documents, &c. that pertain to your persona ask for both your
            name and your persona (or society, or period, &c.) name. To kind of put it
            in perspective: you can register and use multiple persona names (meaning
            that you're not stuck with a name).

            YiS,
            Ciaran

            On 22 February 2010 13:15, Shelley <sheteaches@...> wrote:

            > Please indulge me another newcomer question...
            >
            > We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is it that
            > we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an optional slot for it
            > on the membership page. I did not want to use our mundane names only and
            > then forever have all official documents and correspondence in those names.

          • Callahan Patrick
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
              Am I the only person that makes up names historical, or humorous or other wise and fills them in on the sca name - for reference only line and has them printed on my card ? I read several articles about choosing and sca name and being a FOOL learned nothing except that they will print what ever you write in that blank whither it is actually your registered sca name or not.

              Vinco Viridis Sus

              Padhraig O' Cellachain

              ============ =

            • cailin.sca@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
                Just to add fuel to the fire, I joind six years ago, and submitted my name four years ago. My name became mine this past summer.
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Please indulge me another newcomer question...

                We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is it that we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an optional slot for it on the membership page. I did not want to use our mundane names only and then forever have all official documents and correspondence in those names.

                Gratefully,
                Shelley

              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
                  On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 23:55 +0000, Callahan Patrick wrote:
                  > Am I the only person that makes up names historical, or humorous or
                  > other wise and fills them in on the sca name - for reference only line
                  > and has them printed on my card ? I read several articles about
                  > choosing and sca name and being a FOOL learned nothing except that
                  > they will print what ever you write in that blank whither it is
                  > actually your registered sca name or not.

                  Because the applications are processed by computer software (I know
                  because I helped write some of it), and the software doesn't recognize
                  the difference between real and humorous names.

                  "This damned computer! I wish they'd sell it.
                  Won't do what I want, just what I tell it!"

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                    Ah, ha ha ha ha!!!  I never thought of that; and I'm usually a brat, that way....   I left mine blank for several years while I 'tried on' personas and garb, until I finally settled on a North African persona and had registered the name...  Now my cards come with my 'official' SCA name on it, but I don't think it's on the envelope sent via the post office...  Will have to LOOK at that, next time...
[...]

                  • Kristen Praiswater
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                      You don't have to choose your SCA name before you become a member.

                      YIS,
                      Kristen

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                        Shelley asked:

                        <<< Please indulge me another newcomer question...>>>

                        Certainly. I believe that answering such questions is one of the
                        purposes of this group and I'm sure that for whatever question you are
                        asking there are others here who might like to ask it, but don't know
                        they have that question or are afraid to speak up.

                        <<< We would like to become official SCA members, but how important is
                        it that we wait until we have chosen a name? I see there is an
                        optional slot for it on the membership page. I did not want to use
                        our mundane names only and then forever have all official documents
                        and correspondence in those names. >>>

                        As others have explained, your SCA persona stuff is separate from your
                        21st Century membership. This is because, among other things, it can
                        take a year for your name or your device to wind it's way through the
                        procedure, even if it gets approved the first time.

                        I do recommend that folks work on their first name fairly soon after
                        beginning to play. This keeps folks from first learning your regular
                        name and then quickly having to learn another. You don't however need
                        a full name or even that first name serve as an officer or get an
                        award. Your AOA (Award of Arms) is likely to be the first SCA award
                        you get. My AOA scroll is made out to "Stephen of Bryn Gwlad" because
                        I hadn't registered or even figured out the rest of my name, much less
                        its correct spelling at that time. I believe I had already been or was
                        about to be my barony's Minister of A&S.

                        For more on AoAs:
                        Earng-Your-AoA-art (6K) 4/18/02 "Earning your AoA in the SCA" by Lady
                        Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Earng-Your-AoA-art.html
                        Getting-an-AoA-art (9K) 6/22/98 "How to Get an AoA" by Gunnora
                        Hallakarva.
                        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Getting-an-AoA-art.html

                        Stefan
                        --------