Re: Gulf Wars

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2010
      Shelley asked:
      <<< Our first big event and I did not realize that I missed the
      preregistration for Gulf Wars... We are only coming the last Fri-Sun.

      Will we be able to register on site or should I send in a
      registration? >>>

      At most SCA events you can register at the door. However, if you wait
      you often can't get a feast spot and sometimes it is cheaper to pre-
      register. As was mentioned the website for an event is usually the
      best place to look for such information. After registration is closed,
      it doesn't do any good to send in your money and information. You
      might as well wait until you get to the gate. (Troll is such an ugly,
      made-up word. bleech). Be aware that the gate may or may not accept
      checks or credit cards. See the info on an event to know for sure. So
      be prepared with cash if you are paying at the gate.

      The amount of room that a group gets to use at Gulf Wars is determined
      by the number of pre-registered people who indicate they will be
      camping with that group. This means that a group may or may not let
      you camp with them without a pre-registration. So you can still
      register at Gulf Wars when you get there, but you may or may not get
      to camp with the group you wanted to. There is usually space set aside
      for those to camp who didn't pre-register with a particular group.

      Most people will spend much of Saturday and Sunday packing to go home.
      Years ago the packing started on Saturday night or Sunday, but the
      last few years as the event itself got longer, people started shutting
      down earlier. Grand Court which used to be on Saturday night recently
      got moved to Friday night.

      There are still a number of battles on both Friday and Saturday and
      many classes. You probably do want to spend some time on Friday just
      walking around the site, before people start disassembling their camps
      and parking cars all over. Most merchants should still be open both
      Friday and Saturday.

      Stefan
      --------