RE: [SCA Newcomers] Gulf Wars

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
      Greetings Shelley!

      Welcome to SCA Newcomers.

      My suggestion for this question, and for questions like this in general is
      the same: Go to the website for the event, in this case,
      http://www.gulfwars.org/

      Somewhere on the website, there will be contact info for either the person
      handling troll/admissions, or the autocrat/person in charge.
      In this case, I clicked on the button that said 'Troll'.
      http://www.gulfwars.org/troll.html
      In this case, while I didn't see contact info for troll there, it does look
      like you can register when you get there.
      If you still have a question, look in Staff Contact, where there is a
      name/link listed under 'Troll/Registration'.

      I have never been to Gulf Wars, but I frequently find myself in need of
      additional information, as I sometimes would like to know where I may park
      my RV, whether any of the classes I can teach would be welcome, and whether
      or not my vocal ensemble would be welcome to perform.
      If you are ever not sure who to contact, try the autocrat - they should know
      who to pass your email on to.
      If you don't hear from anyone within a week or so, send another email.

      Good luck, and have fun at Gulf Wars!

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2010
        Shelley asked:
        <<< Our first big event and I did not realize that I missed the
        preregistration for Gulf Wars... We are only coming the last Fri-Sun.

        Will we be able to register on site or should I send in a
        registration? >>>

        At most SCA events you can register at the door. However, if you wait
        you often can't get a feast spot and sometimes it is cheaper to pre-
        register. As was mentioned the website for an event is usually the
        best place to look for such information. After registration is closed,
        it doesn't do any good to send in your money and information. You
        might as well wait until you get to the gate. (Troll is such an ugly,
        made-up word. bleech). Be aware that the gate may or may not accept
        checks or credit cards. See the info on an event to know for sure. So
        be prepared with cash if you are paying at the gate.

        The amount of room that a group gets to use at Gulf Wars is determined
        by the number of pre-registered people who indicate they will be
        camping with that group. This means that a group may or may not let
        you camp with them without a pre-registration. So you can still
        register at Gulf Wars when you get there, but you may or may not get
        to camp with the group you wanted to. There is usually space set aside
        for those to camp who didn't pre-register with a particular group.

        Most people will spend much of Saturday and Sunday packing to go home.
        Years ago the packing started on Saturday night or Sunday, but the
        last few years as the event itself got longer, people started shutting
        down earlier. Grand Court which used to be on Saturday night recently
        got moved to Friday night.

        There are still a number of battles on both Friday and Saturday and
        many classes. You probably do want to spend some time on Friday just
        walking around the site, before people start disassembling their camps
        and parking cars all over. Most merchants should still be open both
        Friday and Saturday.

        Stefan
        --------