Gulf Wars

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
      Our first big event and I did not realize that I missed the preregistration for Gulf Wars... We are only coming the last Fri-Sun.

      Will we be able to register on site or should I send in a registration?

      Gratefully,
      Shelley
    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
        Greetings Shelley!

        Welcome to SCA Newcomers.

        My suggestion for this question, and for questions like this in general is
        the same: Go to the website for the event, in this case,
        http://www.gulfwars.org/

        Somewhere on the website, there will be contact info for either the person
        handling troll/admissions, or the autocrat/person in charge.
        In this case, I clicked on the button that said 'Troll'.
        http://www.gulfwars.org/troll.html
        In this case, while I didn't see contact info for troll there, it does look
        like you can register when you get there.
        If you still have a question, look in Staff Contact, where there is a
        name/link listed under 'Troll/Registration'.

        I have never been to Gulf Wars, but I frequently find myself in need of
        additional information, as I sometimes would like to know where I may park
        my RV, whether any of the classes I can teach would be welcome, and whether
        or not my vocal ensemble would be welcome to perform.
        If you are ever not sure who to contact, try the autocrat - they should know
        who to pass your email on to.
        If you don't hear from anyone within a week or so, send another email.

        Good luck, and have fun at Gulf Wars!

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2010
          Shelley asked:
          <<< Our first big event and I did not realize that I missed the
          preregistration for Gulf Wars... We are only coming the last Fri-Sun.

          Will we be able to register on site or should I send in a
          registration? >>>

          At most SCA events you can register at the door. However, if you wait
          you often can't get a feast spot and sometimes it is cheaper to pre-
          register. As was mentioned the website for an event is usually the
          best place to look for such information. After registration is closed,
          it doesn't do any good to send in your money and information. You
          might as well wait until you get to the gate. (Troll is such an ugly,
          made-up word. bleech). Be aware that the gate may or may not accept
          checks or credit cards. See the info on an event to know for sure. So
          be prepared with cash if you are paying at the gate.

          The amount of room that a group gets to use at Gulf Wars is determined
          by the number of pre-registered people who indicate they will be
          camping with that group. This means that a group may or may not let
          you camp with them without a pre-registration. So you can still
          register at Gulf Wars when you get there, but you may or may not get
          to camp with the group you wanted to. There is usually space set aside
          for those to camp who didn't pre-register with a particular group.

          Most people will spend much of Saturday and Sunday packing to go home.
          Years ago the packing started on Saturday night or Sunday, but the
          last few years as the event itself got longer, people started shutting
          down earlier. Grand Court which used to be on Saturday night recently
          got moved to Friday night.

          There are still a number of battles on both Friday and Saturday and
          many classes. You probably do want to spend some time on Friday just
          walking around the site, before people start disassembling their camps
          and parking cars all over. Most merchants should still be open both
          Friday and Saturday.

          Stefan
          --------