Re: Gulf Wars food

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2010
      Shelley asked:
      <<< Can anyone tell me, for for the "Feast Hall" at Gulf Wars, do we
      need to bring feast gear, or since it is more informal, do they supply
      disposable plates/utensils? >>>

      I can't remember if they use disposable or dishes they wash, but the
      hall at Gulf Wars does provide plates and utensils when you eat there.

      <<< We are staying at a hotel 30 min away and driving in, so food
      onsite will be a need for us. We are brand new to the SCA and wanted
      to look for some feast gear at the Wars itself, but can bring it if we
      need to. >>>

      Since you are brand new to the SCA, I would recommend taking a look at
      the files in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium. You can find
      the address in my signature line below.

      Your best place to find feastgear is to hit up your local thrift
      stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army store etc. as well as the SCA
      merchants. I happen to like pewter dishes since pottery has a very
      short lifetime with me. Rather than pay $24 for a new plate, I much
      prefer to pay $6 at these various places I've mentioned. That is about
      what I've paid for the pieces in the six or so place settings I've
      accumulated. The disadvantage is that it can take time. So get
      something cheap which serves the purpose and then gradually build up a
      matching set as you can.

      This file in the FEASTS section of the Florilegium has some more info
      on feastgear:
      feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the
      SCA.
      cleaning wooden feastgear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

      Even if you plan on eating most of your meals in the hall, I would
      still have at least a plate, drinking utensil and eating utensils with
      me at Gulf Wars. Often various camps will have parties with food and/
      or drink. Particularly at Pennsic, but even at Gulf Wars you can eat
      fairly well just by finding the appropriate parties. But for these you
      will often need your own utensils. There is a big party at the fort on
      the second to last night, used to be Friday, it may be Thursday now,
      where this applies. Most things from home will work for feastgear,
      although I'd avoid glaring, colored plastics and such.

      Often the dances in the evening, in the hall, also have some
      refreshments. There are also vending machines at the hall and a small
      camp store.

      Stefan
      --------
    • Colleen Tarver
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2010
        Shelley (and all others who may be wondering),

        You will not need your own feast gear at Gulf Wars if you plan of purchasing
        your food at the canteen or from any of the fine merchants.

        Word of warning: The food in the "Feast Hall" is institutional food on
        paper trays. I personally have not been very impressed with it.

        For a little bit more you can eat yummier food just outside. I highly
        recommend the Green Rice Bowl.

        Water and soda are available at typical camp store prices or you can get
        lemonade or sweet tea at several vendors.

        For breakfast type foods the Gode Bakery can't be beat.

        As for feast gear .. You can get some great quality stuff from the merchants
        and you can get some cheap junk. If cost is a concern and you have some
        good thrift stores in your area, I would hit the thrift stores and merely
        drool at the merchants.

        Wait . just had a thought .. If you decide to attend the Gleann Abhann
        Social (open to everyone) you may want to bring your own plate or bowl.
        Last year they ran out of plates. If I remember correctly, they only had
        1000 ....

        If you will be eating with any groups you will need to check with them as to
        feast gear requirements.

        Caoilinn inghean Riocaird

        Shire of Iron Ox

        Kingdom of Gleann Abhann