Re: Help Needed re cosmetics / beauty recipes

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2010
      <<< Anyway, I have a question I could do with some help. My local
      group has asked me to do a short'ish presentation of beauty / makeup
      used in the middle ages on March 20th at our Collegia.

      I have found the SCA pages ~ Stefan's Florilegium and
      [SCA-AS] Medieval Cosmetics plus a few other not so helpful sites.

      Sadly I have found the links to the cosmetics are broken.>>>

      Which links are broken? I'm not aware of any within the Florilegium
      itself. And if they are, I certainly want to get them fixed. There may
      be some pointing off of the site since it is real difficult to keep
      those all up-to-date.

      If you start at the top of the site, given in my signature line below,
      and then pick the PERSONAL CARE section from the scrolling menu on the
      left side you should find several files and articles which should fit
      your needs.

      <<< I really am after actual recipes for lotions / creams / makeup as
      I'd like to do a hands on presentation. >>>

      Here are some of the files in the PERSONAL CARE section which I think
      would help you:
      bruise-cream-msg (18K) 1/23/10 Period and SCA bruise creams.
      cosmetics-lnks (10K) 4/18/06 Links to info on medieval cosmetics
      and
      perfumes by Dame Aoife Finn of
      Ynos Mon.
      cosmetics-msg (16K) 12/29/02 Period cosmetics.
      Handcream-art (16K) 6/ 5/00 "Handcream" by Constance de LaRose.
      handcream-msg (12K) 4/17/08 Medieval lotions and handcreams.
      recipes.
      Hand-Lotion-art (4K) 6/21/08 "A Lotion Recipe from Late Period
      England"
      by Lady Rebecca the Contrary.
      hair-msg (90K) 1/12/08 Period and SCA hairstyling and care.
      hair-dyeing-msg (12K) 9/ 4/01 Period hair bleaching and dyeing.
      Man-d-Mujeres-art (12K) 4/19/01 Selected redactions from the
      "Manual de
      Mujeres" by Lady Serian.
      Perfumes-bib (20K) 12/26/00 "Perfumes Bibliography" by Nora Siri
      Bock.
      perfumes-msg (36K) 9/19/02 Medieval perfumes and pomanders.
      Scented-Oils-art (26K) 8/29/08 "Making Medieval Style Scented Oils &
      Waters" by Metressa Jadwiga
      Zajaczkowa.

      I believe Metressa (Mistress) Jadwiga has some more recipes on her
      website as well. It should be given in her article above or a web
      search should find it.

      Please let me know if I can be of further help.

      Stefan
      --------