Irish Names - Advice

  • Lady Ragnailt in Eich
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2010
      I have posted on here before asking about Irish names. And I received a lot of information and have changed the name. I am looking to see if the people who know the Celtic names could give me a little more advice?

      Now instead of Edekyn, my little sister, whom I am helping, is looking at three different first names.

      1) Ciara
      2) Tarra
      3) Cula

      I believe she got the names off a website: www.libraryireland.com/articles/RevivalIrishNamesIF6-133/index.php and the SCA name website.

      She is looking at 14th century. Any suggestions?

      Thanks!
    • Staffan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2010
        Greetings,

        Here is a good link: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml

        And the Academy of St. Gabriel is usually considered an approved site to quote from by SCA Heralds.

        I hope this helps!

        In Service to the West,
        Staffan Arffuidsson
        P.S. For others who might be interested, but do not want an Irish name, here is the link to the names by region: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Ragnailt in Eich" <ragnailtmarcuigham@...> wrote:

        > I have posted on here before asking about Irish names. And I received a lot of information and have changed the name. I am looking to see if the people who know the Celtic names could give me a little more advice?
        >
        > Now instead of Edekyn, my little sister, whom I am helping, is looking at three different first names.
        >
        > 1) Ciara
        > 2) Tarra
        > 3) Cula
        >
        > I believe she got the names off a website: www.libraryireland.com/articles/RevivalIrishNamesIF6-133/index.php and the SCA name website.
        >
        > She is looking at 14th century. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Marlene Ladouceur
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2010
          Dia duit! (hello in irish gaelic)

          I took my name, a 14th century one on that s-gabriel.org site.

          �adaoin U� Brien. (pronounced eh-deen u brien)it is a very old name and there was not very people of this name. Who`s about traduced in: the happy friend of clan of Brian ;0) Other names I`ve found and remember in the 14th century for an irish girl are:

          Una (pronounced ouh-nah, almost traduced in: the white one, purity)

          A�ne (pronounced ay-nuh, irish version for Anne, also means, if my memory is good, the one who helps)

          Sorcha (pronounced so-reu-kah, means healthy, the strong one)----it is a very last 14th century name and there was many people who had that name in the 15-16th centuries.

          Seabhe (pronounced she-v, if my memory is good, it is the traduced name of Joane or Johanne...)

          Lady �adaoin U� Brien

          Shire La Selve d`Aure EK

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: arffuidsson@...
          Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:39:31 +0000
          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Irish Names - Advice

          Greetings,

          Here is a good link: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml

          And the Academy of St. Gabriel is usually considered an approved site to quote from by SCA Heralds.

          I hope this helps!

          In Service to the West,
          Staffan Arffuidsson
          P.S. For others who might be interested, but do not want an Irish name, here is the link to the names by region: http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Ragnailt in Eich" <ragnailtmarcuigham@...> wrote:

          > I have posted on here before asking about Irish names. And I received a lot of information and have changed the name. I am looking to see if the people who know the Celtic names could give me a little more advice?
          >
          > Now instead of Edekyn, my little sister, whom I am helping, is looking at three different first names.
          >
          > 1) Ciara
          > 2) Tarra
          > 3) Cula
          >
          > I believe she got the names off a website: www.libraryireland.com/articles/RevivalIrishNamesIF6-133/index.php and the SCA name website.
          >
          > She is looking at 14th century. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • SidheMaiden
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2010
            For Ciara, see:
            http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2057+0
            http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?936+0
            -Ciar:
            http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/501-700.shtml

            For Tara, see:
            http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1134+0

            I did not see anything like Cula at St. Gabes. Perhaps someone with more
            Heraldic resources will chime in.

            Éva

            --
            I believe cats to be spirits come to earth.
            A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.