RE: [SCA Newcomers] Garb

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
      Welcome to the SCA!
      I'm glad you enjoyed your first event.

      There are lots of resources on line, for instance, if you go to the website
      associated with this Yahoo list, under Links (in the blue box on the left,)
      there is a folder called Shopping.
      I believe, without having looked at it myself, that this folder contains
      links to various merchants who have been recommended by members of this
      group.

      I suggest that you inquire within your local shire/canton - there are
      usually people who make garb and will help you make your own, or make some
      to order for you.
      That way, you can acquire your preference in style, material, periodicity,
      etc.
      Also, that will allow you to get to know some of your local group's members
      a bit better.

      If you were looking for recommomendations to local merchants, you'll need to
      include your locale.

      Happy hunting!

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
        Thank you, everyone!

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          Shelley,
           in addition to the recommendations by Lady Brangwayna, both of whom have given me very good service in the past, I'd also suggest you take a look at the excellent online catalogue of Medieval Design of Italy. Here is the URL for their English Language Home Page.
          <http://www.medievaldesign.com/english.asp>
          They have now registered with PayPal, which makes paying them easier than it has been in the past.
          Medieval Design also take great pains to build a high degree of authentic style, and cut and finish into their commercially-offered clothing, and accessories.
          I'd rate them up there alongside Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing for attention to authentic detail, and terrific customer service.

          Your in Service,
           Lord Matthewe Baker, Hospitaller,
          Wesrt Dragonshire, Drachenwald