Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
      Two of the best suppliers of authentic clothing that I know of, both of which have websites, are Revival Clothing and Historic Enterprises. The shoe supplier is Boots by Bohemond, and he also has a website. You should be able to find them by googling. I also like Master Dru Shoemaker's work; his things can be seen at www.medievalshoes.com .

      Lancaster, PA

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
        Welcome to the SCA!
        I'm glad you enjoyed your first event.

        There are lots of resources on line, for instance, if you go to the website
        associated with this Yahoo list, under Links (in the blue box on the left,)
        there is a folder called Shopping.
        I believe, without having looked at it myself, that this folder contains
        links to various merchants who have been recommended by members of this
        group.

        I suggest that you inquire within your local shire/canton - there are
        usually people who make garb and will help you make your own, or make some
        to order for you.
        That way, you can acquire your preference in style, material, periodicity,
        etc.
        Also, that will allow you to get to know some of your local group's members
        a bit better.

        If you were looking for recommomendations to local merchants, you'll need to
        include your locale.

        Happy hunting!

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
          Thank you, everyone!

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
            Shelley,
             in addition to the recommendations by Lady Brangwayna, both of whom have given me very good service in the past, I'd also suggest you take a look at the excellent online catalogue of Medieval Design of Italy. Here is the URL for their English Language Home Page.
            <http://www.medievaldesign.com/english.asp>
            They have now registered with PayPal, which makes paying them easier than it has been in the past.
            Medieval Design also take great pains to build a high degree of authentic style, and cut and finish into their commercially-offered clothing, and accessories.
            I'd rate them up there alongside Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing for attention to authentic detail, and terrific customer service.

            Your in Service,
             Lord Matthewe Baker, Hospitaller,
            Wesrt Dragonshire, Drachenwald