Stefan's Florilegium files for February

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2010
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for February detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World.

      If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
      monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post
      it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter
      on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the
      links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web
      version of this article, please email me.

      Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on
      any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are
      willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. More
      information and minimal advertising has been my goal and I don't wish
      to change that.

      Thanks,
      Stefan

      ------------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two while you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      fruit-wines-msg Non-grape fruit wines.
      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      jwlry-sup-lws-art "Period Sumptuary Laws" by Lady Rutilia Fausta
      In the CLOTHING section:
      Fabric-Buttns-art "Medieval Fabric Buttons" by Mistress
      Laurellen de Brandevin OL.
      In the CRAFTS section:
      Cast-Wax-Seal-art "Pewter Casting for a Wax Seal"
      by HL Hucbald ap Urp, JdL.
      Mkng-Charcoal-art "Making Charcoal" by Viscount Sir Corin
      Anderson (KSCA, OP).
      p-asbestos-msg Period use of asbestos.
      In the DISABILITIES section:
      Diabetes-SCA-art "Surviving Diabetes in the SCA" by Forester
      Padraig MacRaighne and THL Geniveve Rose
      D'Glendalough (called GenRose).
      In the FEASTS section:
      Italian-Feast-art An Italian-themed feast at the Pounce VIII
      event by Mistress Helewyse de Birkestad.
      In the RELIGION section:
      Cult-Vir-Mary-art "The Cult of the Virgin Mary" by
      Lady Dominica de Zeragoza.
      In the SCA-INC section:
      Grant-of-Arms-art "Stuck in the Middle or, On Being a Grant of
      Arms Recipient" by HL Hucbald ap Urp, JdL.
      Start-a-Group-art "Forming a New SCA Branch: A Guide to Getting
      Started" by Maistor Justinos Tekton called
      Justin.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      chocolate-msg History and description of early chocolate.
      cl-Spain-msg Clothing of Medieval Spain.
      feast-ideas-msg Ideas for SCA feasts.
      fishing-msg Medieval fishing. Fish ponds.
      fruit-quinces-msg Period uses and recipes for quinces.
      Ireland-msg Irish culture, dress. Points of interest.
      merch-spices-msg Spice merchants. Reviews and recommendations
      sausage-makng-msg Sausage making techniques. Supplies.
      ---
      Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------