Re: [SCA Newcomers] What Are The Rules About SCA/SCA Related Groups

  • G P
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
      You're not an SCA (official) group. You don't have to follow anyone's
      rules but your own. Households aren't official, either--would anyone
      stand on solid ground trying to tell households that they can't make
      their own call about who can and can't be a member?

      -Gary

      On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Kyla <skycat@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I recently came across an issue where a group of performers decided to have
      > a closed tech rehearsal.
      > The performers are all members of the SCA, and are concentrating on SCA
      > period material.
      > (The group is eventually looking to enter A&S competitions - any advice
      > regarding that would be welcome!)
      > The group is not an official SCA group, just an informal gathering a
      > friends - that we take it pretty seriously is beside the point.
      > It is a small group, and is actively recruiting more members, but decided
      > that an hour and a half rehearsal for an hour's worth of material was not a
      > good time to meet someone new.
      > The new person made this claim, "...It has always been my understanding that
      > all SCA-related groups are supposed to have open-door policies at all
      > times."
      >
      > Could someone with more experience with the SCA help me find a better
      > understanding of the rules and traditions regarding official and
      > non-official groups within the SCA, and what the differences are?
      >
      > Many thanks for your time,
      >
      > Tabitha Pennywarden
      > Ravenslake, Midlands
      > Middle Kingdom

    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2010
        On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 13:33 -0600, Kyla wrote:
        > Could someone with more experience with the SCA help me find a better
        > understanding of the rules and traditions regarding official and
        > non-official groups within the SCA, and what the differences are?

        I'm not on the Board and don't speak for them, but I'll take a crack at
        this question as a lay member of the populace who has a lot of
        experience as a Seneschal at various levels.

        As always, the official source is the Governing Documents, which defines
        what constitutes an official SCA event. SCA events *are* open-door
        affairs provided the attendees meet the requirements of the SCA
        Governing Documents (basically, wear garb, follow the rules of the SCA
        Inc., and have a warranted SCA officer in charge of the event...read the
        details from the Gov Docs linked from www.sca.org).

        In this case, you have said that "[t]he group is not an official SCA
        group, just an informal gathering [of] friends...". That says it all --
        the SCA has no authority to regulate who is or is not welcome at an
        activity that is not an SCA sanctioned activity.

        There are many activities and groups "around" the SCA culture that are
        not officially sanctioned. For example:

        * Households -- In some kingdoms, these may seem quasi-official, but
        they are not. Households are groups of people who may or may not be SCA
        members and who attend SCA events together or otherwise participate
        together. They have to obey SCA rules while they are at SCA events, but
        outside of that environment they are governed only by modern-world law
        and whatever agreements and covenants are made by their own members.

        * Some guilds -- Some guilds have charters from the kingdom level, and
        their activities may therefore be officially sanctioned. But others who
        call themselves guilds are really just craft households, and all the
        things said about households apply. Technically, at least in some
        kingdoms, they shouldn't be calling themselves guilds -- but the SCA
        Inc. doesn't own the word "guild" and therefore can't enforce that
        legally.

        * Revels -- Ever been to a "post revel" at someone's house after an
        event? Or a similar informal party that happened to include a bunch of
        SCA people but which wasn't presided over by an SCA officer acting in
        that capacity? These are unofficial activities. Just because multiple
        people gather in a room who are members of the SCA does not imply that
        the gathering itself is an SCA activity.

        By contrast, there are actually activities that seem unofficial but
        which can be considered official because of the way they are run. For
        example:

        * Shire/Barony business meetings -- They are official because an SCA
        Seneschal presides over them and because official business is transacted
        there under the auspices of warranted officers. (Business meetings are
        an exception to the garb requirement, however.)

        * Fighter practices -- They are official because a warranted SCA Marshal
        is presiding over them in an official capacity.

        * Revels that are actually sponsored by the SCA Inc. -- Just the word
        "revel" or "party" doesn't make something *un*official. Rather, it is
        the lack of SCA supervision, funding, regulation, and insurance. So just
        as it is possible to have an unofficial revel/party without these
        things, it is equally possible to have an official revel/party *with*
        full SCA sanction.

        The SCA has no problem with unofficial events. It's just important to
        understand and clearly differentiate:

        * SCA activities/groups must follow SCA rules, have SCA insurance, and
        can be paid for with SCA funds.

        * Unofficial activities/groups are not bound by SCA rules, have no SCA
        insurance, and cannot be paid for with SCA funds.

        Hope this helps. I would encourage everyone to familiarize themselves
        with the Governing Documents. As a newcomer, one wouldn't necessarily
        need to read every section down to the minute details, but skim it over
        so you know what's in it and can find it easily in the future.

        http://www.sca.org/docs/#govdocs

        Kind regards,

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
          Thank you all for your help - I believe every aspect of this issue has been addressed - you guys are great!
          The concert that the tech rehearsal was for was this past Saturday, and it went very well - there were more people watching us when we finished than when we started!

          There were some aspects of this issue mentioned here, which no one in the group has thought of, or mentioned - may I share these issues with my group?

          (I mean all of the responses I've read, not just this one.)

          I really appreciate each suggestion made, thank you all!

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake Midlands,
          Middle Kingdom