Re: Clothing from 900-1400

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2010
      Elizabeth requested:
      <<< I need a rush on finding pictures of medieval clothes. Preferably
      lady's garments, with dates and info about the clothes. Any help is
      appreciated. By the way, I think pictures ought to be included in the
      Florilegium's articles. >>>

      I put pictures and diagrams in the Florilegium files when I get them.
      The problem is that much of the Florilegium is composed of messages
      from Internet newsgroups and mail lists. And most of these, including
      this one, don't allow pictures and diagrams to be posted.

      Why are you in a rush? If it is to have an outfit to wear for an
      upcoming SCA event, see if you can borrow something. Many local SCA
      groups have some loaner outfits. Also individuals in the group may be
      willing to loan you something.

      If you are still trying to figure out what period clothes you like the
      best or are most willing to wear, try one of the theatrical clothing
      books. These are often cheap and even if they often lack a lot of
      details do cover a wide time frame and cultures. The one I found the
      most use is:

      Patterns for Theatrical Costumes: Garments, Trims and Accesories Egypt
      to 1915
      Holkeboer, Catherine
      ISBN: 0-13-654260-3

      Not great for creating clothes from unless you are an experienced
      seamstress since it is just line drawings and no patterns, but it does
      cover a wide range of time periods and it was cheap.

      Some more books on clothing can be found in these two files in the
      CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:
      clothing-bib (27K) 4/19/95 Bibliography of Russian, East
      Europe, Middle
      East clothing books. Other
      books, too.

      clothing-books-msg(93K) 12/14/99 Book reviews, bibliographies and
      pattern
      sources.

      I hope this helps.

      Stefan