Re: [SCA Newcomers] Name and Device Registration

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2010
      Sunni of Dernehealde wrote:
      > I wondered what kind of documentation is needed when registering a
      > name?

      The basic idea is to present, on the form itself, a convincing
      argument that the name complies with the Rules for Submissions
      <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html>, and to attach any
      supporting documents that might be required to back that argument up.

      Your signature included the comment "hopefully soon to be Margrete
      Salzburgerin", so I assume that's the name that you want to
      register. The evidence you submit will need to show (1) that
      "Margrete" was used as a given name in period, (2) that
      "Salzburgerin" was used as a byname in period, (3) that the two
      elements were so used in the same general area at the same
      approximate time in similar or at least compatible linguistic
      contexts and in names of the same gender, and (4) that the complete
      name "Margrete Salzburgerin" is put together the way a name of that
      gender with those elements would've been put together in those
      contexts. If you can't provide evidence of any one of these things,
      you'll instead need argue for the plausibility of the name on the
      basis of parallels and general naming patterns; that's probably
      something you'd need help with.

      Of course, since in this case you've got an Academy of Saint Gabriel
      report on the proposed name, the evidence has already been compiled.
      All you have to do is summarize it. I'd write on the form something
      like:

      > According to Academy of Saint Gabriel Report 2825 (http://www.s-
      > gabriel.org/2825), "Margrete" appears as a woman's given name
      > recorded in German in 1299, and "der Salzburger" as a locative
      > byname (presumably masculine) in a German-language record from
      > 1382. The report recommends "Margrete Salzburgerin" as "an
      > excellent choice" for a late-12th- or 13th-century woman.

      Academy reports are on the list of sources that do not require
      photocopies to Laurel <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/
      admin.html#APPENDIXH>, so you don't even need to print out the
      report. The summary is al that's required.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>