persona help

  • anabella_de_lancret
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
      ok so i am still working on my persona... i like the late 14th early 15th c clothing in the euro area... and i like the more upper class things but not to high up... so here is what i was thinking

      daughter of a wealthy merchant sailor. mother died giving birth to me. raised by the servants and spoiled very much by my father....

      obviously i will need to make a little better story for this but this is the base of it....

      please let me know what you might think of this and give thoughts on how to smooth out my story....

      thanks
      anabella de lancret
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2010
        lady Anabella,
         that persona outline sounds an excellent choice.
        "Merchant" equals trading with far lands, involving trading skills.
         "Sailor" equals travel and exposure to foreign cultures and foreign fashions.
        "Spoilt by Sire and Servants" equals a good medieval education, and the opportunity to travel widely with your Sire.
        For background reading can I recommend -
         "Merchants and Moneymen" by Jospeh and Frances Gies, ISBN 0-690-53177-X
        and, for deeper study of what was traded from where, to where, various prices, and also travel times, - Peter Spufford's meticulously researched books
        "Money and it's use in Medieval Europe"
        and
        "Power & Profit; The Merchant in medieval Europe".
        Armed with such knowledge, you'll be able to draw-upon textiles and fashions from anywhere in the Known World for your garb and accessories; and be able to rebut ignorant criticisms of the "you couldn't have worn that, then, in your part of the medieval world" type.
        YiS,
        Lord Matthewe Baker

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2010
          Hi Anabella,

          Overall pretty good, a nice plausible story (I'm not a fan of the kidnapped
          by pirates/gypsies and that's how I got to know all this stuff or have both
          Italian and Irish clothing style of persona). I will mention that it would
          have been an unusual choice for your father to not remarry and even more
          unusual to let you be raised by servants. The majority of widows and
          widowers remarried, especially if they had children. To leave you in the
          hands of servants to raise would be seen as a form of mild neglect as you
          wouldn't be learning how to interact with people of your own station in life
          but those of a station significantly below your own. If he didn't re-marry
          (not re-marrying would be more plausible if he is often away on business, he
          has less time to find and court a wife) he would have been likely to ask a
          female member of his family to take charge of the house and raise his
          daughter (especially if he travelled a lot as part of his business).

          The picture you are painting is of a Father who indulges his child's wishes
          when she is in front of him but would seem to forget about her when she is
          not in front of her because he neglects her long term future. There's
          nothing wrong with that and I'm sure there were Fathers who did that, but be
          aware that this is the portrait you are painting. For a more typical family
          situation I would tend to insert a woman into this story, perhaps an aunt or
          grandmother who cannot say no to their darling child.
          There's nothing inherently wrong with the story you have got together it's
          not typical but it's by no means implausible, but I thought you would like
          to get an idea of why it's atypical.
          HTH
          Elizabeth