RE: [SCA Newcomers] Hello everyone

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
      Actually, there are a few other things you can't do, if you are not a paid
      member.
      You, can't for instance, fight in a tournament at an event.
      In order to fight at an event, you must be authorized to fight, and in order
      to authorize, you must be a paid member - it's a liability issue.

      Also, I don't know enough about pointy hats and official positions to point
      out exactly what's wrong with some of this, but I don't think this is quite
      right.
      Does anyone else know more about what exactly an officer is, and who is and
      who is not required to be a paid member?

      When in doubt, return to the source - in this case corpora:
      http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf
      A quick glance at the table of contents should show you where exactly to
      look.

      I hope this helps the several newcomers who have expressed their desire to
      be more involved with the SCA.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
        <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
        I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
        part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
        royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
        people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
        things.>>>

        <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
        myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
        the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
        me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>

        The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
        assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
        lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
        don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
        unless you've earned those ranks.

        If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
        the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
        award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.

        It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.

        I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
        Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
        below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
        and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
        might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
        files and articles each month.

        One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
        which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
        clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
        TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
        a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
        embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
        on armor and fight.

        If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
        perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
        those interests in the SCA.

        Stefan
        --------
      • caring4thelittlethings
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010

          > <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
          > I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
          > part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
          > royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
          > people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
          > things.>>>
          >
          > <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
          > myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
          > the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
          > me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>
          >
          > The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
          > assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
          > lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
          > don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
          > unless you've earned those ranks.
          >
          > If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
          > the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
          > award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.
          >
          > It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.
          >
          > I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
          > Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
          > below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
          > and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
          > might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
          > files and articles each month.
          >
          > One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
          > which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
          > clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
          > TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
          > a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
          > embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
          > on armor and fight.
          >
          > If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
          > perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
          > those interests in the SCA.
          >
          > Stefan
          > --------

          I would be a lady. I am interested in a lot of things - archery, anything to do with horses and animals, herbs and healing, needle-work, books and writing, dancing. Pretty much anything I'm pointed at is good, but those are my main interests in regular life. Thank you for the extra details.

          Elizabeth
        • Kat
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
            Hello Caring,

            I'm right there in the boat with you! I am very interested but really shy all at the same time. Just can't imagine walking attending an event and not know anyone.

            My family back home have taken me to a few events and it was sooo much fun! The SCA is fascinating and the time era's covered are some of my favorite bits of history.

            Good luck!

            Kathleen