Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello everyone

  • Elizabeth van Rij
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
      Lizalizfuller, If you do not wish to belong to SCANewcomers, you may
      unsubscribe by sending an email to
      scanewcomers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com directly from your blackberry/yahoo
      mail account and that should unsubscribe you as well.

      On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:07 AM, D'vorah bat Atar <
      dvorah@...> wrote:

      > On 4 Jan 2010, at 9:57 PM, lizalizfuller@...<lizalizfuller%40yahoo.com>wrote:
      >
      > > Take me off your list before I report abuse
      >
      > At the bottom of every single email sent through this list are the
      > directions for how to manage membership, including how to unsubscribe.
      >
      > I'm not a moderator for the list, so I can't unsubscribe you, but I still
      > apologize on behalf of whoever subscribed you without your permission.
      >
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      >

      > D'vorah bat Atar
      > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
      > dvorah@... <dvorah%40consensualreality.net>
      >
      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
      > http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar

    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
        Actually, there are a few other things you can't do, if you are not a paid
        member.
        You, can't for instance, fight in a tournament at an event.
        In order to fight at an event, you must be authorized to fight, and in order
        to authorize, you must be a paid member - it's a liability issue.

        Also, I don't know enough about pointy hats and official positions to point
        out exactly what's wrong with some of this, but I don't think this is quite
        right.
        Does anyone else know more about what exactly an officer is, and who is and
        who is not required to be a paid member?

        When in doubt, return to the source - in this case corpora:
        http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf
        A quick glance at the table of contents should show you where exactly to
        look.

        I hope this helps the several newcomers who have expressed their desire to
        be more involved with the SCA.

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
          <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
          I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
          part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
          royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
          people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
          things.>>>

          <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
          myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
          the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
          me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>

          The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
          assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
          lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
          don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
          unless you've earned those ranks.

          If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
          the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
          award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.

          It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.

          I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
          Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
          below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
          and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
          might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
          files and articles each month.

          One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
          which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
          clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
          TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
          a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
          embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
          on armor and fight.

          If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
          perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
          those interests in the SCA.

          Stefan
          --------
        • caring4thelittlethings
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010

            > <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
            > I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
            > part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
            > royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
            > people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
            > things.>>>
            >
            > <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
            > myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
            > the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
            > me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>
            >
            > The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
            > assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
            > lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
            > don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
            > unless you've earned those ranks.
            >
            > If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
            > the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
            > award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.
            >
            > It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.
            >
            > I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
            > Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
            > below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
            > and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
            > might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
            > files and articles each month.
            >
            > One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
            > which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
            > clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
            > TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
            > a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
            > embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
            > on armor and fight.
            >
            > If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
            > perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
            > those interests in the SCA.
            >
            > Stefan
            > --------

            I would be a lady. I am interested in a lot of things - archery, anything to do with horses and animals, herbs and healing, needle-work, books and writing, dancing. Pretty much anything I'm pointed at is good, but those are my main interests in regular life. Thank you for the extra details.

            Elizabeth
          • Kat
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
              Hello Caring,

              I'm right there in the boat with you! I am very interested but really shy all at the same time. Just can't imagine walking attending an event and not know anyone.

              My family back home have taken me to a few events and it was sooo much fun! The SCA is fascinating and the time era's covered are some of my favorite bits of history.

              Good luck!

              Kathleen