Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello everyone

  • lizalizfuller@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
      Take me off your list before I report abuse

      From: "caring4thelittlethings" <caring4thelittlethings@...>
      Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:18:21
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello everyone

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bat Atar <dvorah@...> wrote:

      > On 4 Jan 2010, at 12:59 AM, caring4thelittlethings wrote:
      >
      > > I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.
      >

      > Welcome, Caring! No worries, you don't have to be an SCA paid member to enjoy participating in the SCA. In fact, the only things non-members can't do are hold office and... Actually, I think that's it, come to think of it. Could someone correct me, please?
      >
      > Of course, 'offices' is a somewhat broad term, and it includes royalty and nobility. If someone gets called Your_____ (majesty, excellency, grace, highness), that's an office. Being called Lady, Lord, Mistress, Master, Sir, and I think Madam... those are nobles, too, and that's something a non-member can't be called. But most people in the SCA do portray 'minor' nobles -- people who don't have actual titles, but who do deserve to be treated as gentlefolk. In fact, the generic term for "people associated with the SCA in any way, or just attending an event or meeting" is just that: gentles. Upper-middle class seems to be about the lowest social status that most will claim, though there are a few religious figures that claim status religiously but not socially, and of course there are always peasants (chiefly those who don't have the ability to buy or make really good garb). So playing someone who's wealthy and/or of 'gentle' birth, that's not a problem at all!
      >
      > This list is a great way to introduce yourself to SCA folks through conversation. Another really fun way is to attend local fighter practices, arts-and-sciences (A&S) gatherings, and so forth. Have you found your local shire? We can help you get in touch with them and see about joining them at their gatherings that take place between events.
      >
      > We're so glad to have you with us, and look forward to teaching you and learning with you and from you. :)
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      > D'vorah bat Atar
      > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
      > dvorah@...
      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
      > http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

      Thank you for the welcome. I hope to fully join the SCA fairly soon, so I'd like to learn more about titles, etc.
      I have joined my local group - Champclair - on yahoo groups. My request was accepted today, so I haven't said anything there yet.
      I truly appreciate the personalized welcome, instead of an automatic one.

    • D'vorah bat Atar
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
        On 4 Jan 2010, at 9:57 PM, lizalizfuller@... wrote:

        > Take me off your list before I report abuse

        At the bottom of every single email sent through this list are the directions for how to manage membership, including how to unsubscribe.

        I'm not a moderator for the list, so I can't unsubscribe you, but I still apologize on behalf of whoever subscribed you without your permission.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
          Lizalizfuller, If you do not wish to belong to SCANewcomers, you may
          unsubscribe by sending an email to
          scanewcomers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com directly from your blackberry/yahoo
          mail account and that should unsubscribe you as well.

          On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:07 AM, D'vorah bat Atar <
          dvorah@...> wrote:

          > On 4 Jan 2010, at 9:57 PM, lizalizfuller@...<lizalizfuller%40yahoo.com>wrote:
          >
          > > Take me off your list before I report abuse
          >
          > At the bottom of every single email sent through this list are the
          > directions for how to manage membership, including how to unsubscribe.
          >
          > I'm not a moderator for the list, so I can't unsubscribe you, but I still
          > apologize on behalf of whoever subscribed you without your permission.
          >
          > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          >

          > D'vorah bat Atar
          > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
          > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
          > dvorah@... <dvorah%40consensualreality.net>
          >
          > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
          > http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar

        • David Backlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
              On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 03:57 +0000, lizalizfuller@... wrote:
              > Take me off your list before I report abuse

              Your subscription to this list was self-initiated on your own Yahoo
              account, and also it is under your control to *unsubscribe*. Please see
              the following instructions which appear with every message from the
              list:

              I am sorry that you accidentally subscribed to a list you don't want,
              but in general you will find that list moderators will be glad to assist
              you if you request it politely. Threats of abuse reports are less
              productive than a simple, polite request.

              If you have difficulty using the unsubscribe instructions above, please
              email scanewcomers-owner@yahoogroups.com and I will assist you.

              Kind regards,

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                Actually, there are a few other things you can't do, if you are not a paid
                member.
                You, can't for instance, fight in a tournament at an event.
                In order to fight at an event, you must be authorized to fight, and in order
                to authorize, you must be a paid member - it's a liability issue.

                Also, I don't know enough about pointy hats and official positions to point
                out exactly what's wrong with some of this, but I don't think this is quite
                right.
                Does anyone else know more about what exactly an officer is, and who is and
                who is not required to be a paid member?

                When in doubt, return to the source - in this case corpora:
                http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf
                A quick glance at the table of contents should show you where exactly to
                look.

                I hope this helps the several newcomers who have expressed their desire to
                be more involved with the SCA.

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                On 4 Jan 2010, at 12:59 AM, caring4thelittlethings wrote:

                > I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd
                like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm
                thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or
                anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA
                and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.

                Welcome, Caring! No worries, you don't have to be an SCA paid member to
                enjoy participating in the SCA. In fact, the only things non-members can't
                do are hold office and... Actually, I think that's it, come to think of it.
                Could someone correct me, please?

                Of course, 'offices' is a somewhat broad term, and it includes royalty and
                nobility. If someone gets called Your _____ (majesty, excellency, grace,
                highness), that's an office. Being called Lady, Lord, Mistress, Master, Sir,
                and I think Madam... those are nobles, too, and that's something a
                non-member can't be called. But most people in the SCA do portray 'minor'
                nobles -- people who don't have actual titles, but who do deserve to be
                treated as gentlefolk. In fact, the generic term for "people associated with
                the SCA in any way, or just attending an event or meeting" is just that:
                gentles. Upper-middle class seems to be about the lowest social status that
                most will claim, though there are a few religious figures that claim status
                religiously but not socially, and of course there are always peasants
                (chiefly those who don't have the ability to buy or make really good garb).
                So playing someone who's wealthy and/or of 'gentle' birth, that's not a
                problem at all!

                This list is a great way to introduce yourself to SCA folks through
                conversation. Another really fun way is to attend local fighter practices,
                arts-and-sciences (A&S) gatherings, and so forth. Have you found your local
                shire? We can help you get in touch with them and see about joining them at
                their gatherings that take place between events.

                We're so glad to have you with us, and look forward to teaching you and
                learning with you and from you. :)
                -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                -=-=-=-
                D'vorah bat Atar
                Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                dvorah@...
                http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar
              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                  <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
                  I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
                  part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
                  royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
                  people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
                  things.>>>

                  <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
                  myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
                  the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
                  me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>

                  The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
                  assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
                  lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
                  don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
                  unless you've earned those ranks.

                  If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
                  the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
                  award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.

                  It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.

                  I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
                  Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
                  below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
                  and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
                  might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
                  files and articles each month.

                  One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
                  which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
                  clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
                  TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
                  a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
                  embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
                  on armor and fight.

                  If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
                  perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
                  those interests in the SCA.

                  Stefan
                  --------
                • caring4thelittlethings
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010

                    > <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
                    > I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
                    > part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
                    > royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
                    > people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
                    > things.>>>
                    >
                    > <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
                    > myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
                    > the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
                    > me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>
                    >
                    > The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
                    > assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
                    > lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
                    > don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
                    > unless you've earned those ranks.
                    >
                    > If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
                    > the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
                    > award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.
                    >
                    > It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.
                    >
                    > I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
                    > Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
                    > below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
                    > and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
                    > might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
                    > files and articles each month.
                    >
                    > One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
                    > which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
                    > clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
                    > TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
                    > a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
                    > embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
                    > on armor and fight.
                    >
                    > If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
                    > perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
                    > those interests in the SCA.
                    >
                    > Stefan
                    > --------

                    I would be a lady. I am interested in a lot of things - archery, anything to do with horses and animals, herbs and healing, needle-work, books and writing, dancing. Pretty much anything I'm pointed at is good, but those are my main interests in regular life. Thank you for the extra details.

                    Elizabeth
                  • Kat
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                      Hello Caring,

                      I'm right there in the boat with you! I am very interested but really shy all at the same time. Just can't imagine walking attending an event and not know anyone.

                      My family back home have taken me to a few events and it was sooo much fun! The SCA is fascinating and the time era's covered are some of my favorite bits of history.

                      Good luck!

                      Kathleen