RE: Twelfth Night

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      Kristen asked:
      <<< What are appropriate gifts to give at Twelfth Night? For adults
      and for children. >>>

      This is likely to differ by tradition from kingdom to kingdom.

      At our baronial Yule Revel, there is an official gift exchange that
      was originally set at $5 limit 25 years ago and is now a $10 limit. I
      know that at the Ansteorra 12th Night people often exchange presents,
      but that is more on a personal, friend to friend level. For my first
      Yule Revel gifts I remember going out and buy a couple of candle
      holders somewhere. I was looking for something medieval like. Recently
      I've often given various books on medieval subjects.

      For our Yule Revel we have separate adult and children's gift
      exchanges. For the latter, the parents exchange names well in advance
      so that the presents can be bought with the age and sex of the child
      in mind.

      For gift ideas, perhaps these Florilegium files might be of use:
      holiday-gifts-lnks (16K) 11/11/04 Links to medieval holiday gifts by
      Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/holiday-gifts-lnks.html
      baby-gifts-msg (20K) 4/13/98 Period-type and SCA-useful baby gifts.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/baby-gifts-msg.html
      food-gifts-msg (38K) 1/15/09 Period food items that make good
      gifts.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-gifts-msg.html
      Pennsic-gifts-msg (8K) 9/10/99 Some gift ideas for those going to
      Pennsic.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-gifts-msg.html
      largess-ideas-msg (64K) 2/ 1/09 Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty
      gifts.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/largess-ideas-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------