Re: [SCA Newcomers] Twelfth Night

  • j davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
      may be a thirteenth day? but only if they can behave. john of antioche

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
        Kristen asked:
        <<< What are appropriate gifts to give at Twelfth Night? For adults
        and for children. >>>

        This is likely to differ by tradition from kingdom to kingdom.

        At our baronial Yule Revel, there is an official gift exchange that
        was originally set at $5 limit 25 years ago and is now a $10 limit. I
        know that at the Ansteorra 12th Night people often exchange presents,
        but that is more on a personal, friend to friend level. For my first
        Yule Revel gifts I remember going out and buy a couple of candle
        holders somewhere. I was looking for something medieval like. Recently
        I've often given various books on medieval subjects.

        For our Yule Revel we have separate adult and children's gift
        exchanges. For the latter, the parents exchange names well in advance
        so that the presents can be bought with the age and sex of the child
        in mind.

        For gift ideas, perhaps these Florilegium files might be of use:
        holiday-gifts-lnks (16K) 11/11/04 Links to medieval holiday gifts by
        Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/holiday-gifts-lnks.html
        baby-gifts-msg (20K) 4/13/98 Period-type and SCA-useful baby gifts.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/baby-gifts-msg.html
        food-gifts-msg (38K) 1/15/09 Period food items that make good
        gifts.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-gifts-msg.html
        Pennsic-gifts-msg (8K) 9/10/99 Some gift ideas for those going to
        Pennsic.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-gifts-msg.html
        largess-ideas-msg (64K) 2/ 1/09 Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty
        gifts.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/largess-ideas-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------