Twelfth Night

  • Kristen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
      What are appropriate gifts to give at Twelfth Night? For adults and for children.

      Kristen
    • j davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2009
        may be a thirteenth day? but only if they can behave. john of antioche

        What are appropriate gifts to give at Twelfth Night? For adults and for children.

        Kristen

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
          Kristen asked:
          <<< What are appropriate gifts to give at Twelfth Night? For adults
          and for children. >>>

          This is likely to differ by tradition from kingdom to kingdom.

          At our baronial Yule Revel, there is an official gift exchange that
          was originally set at $5 limit 25 years ago and is now a $10 limit. I
          know that at the Ansteorra 12th Night people often exchange presents,
          but that is more on a personal, friend to friend level. For my first
          Yule Revel gifts I remember going out and buy a couple of candle
          holders somewhere. I was looking for something medieval like. Recently
          I've often given various books on medieval subjects.

          For our Yule Revel we have separate adult and children's gift
          exchanges. For the latter, the parents exchange names well in advance
          so that the presents can be bought with the age and sex of the child
          in mind.

          For gift ideas, perhaps these Florilegium files might be of use:
          holiday-gifts-lnks (16K) 11/11/04 Links to medieval holiday gifts by
          Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CELEBRATIONS/holiday-gifts-lnks.html
          baby-gifts-msg (20K) 4/13/98 Period-type and SCA-useful baby gifts.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/baby-gifts-msg.html
          food-gifts-msg (38K) 1/15/09 Period food items that make good
          gifts.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/food-gifts-msg.html
          Pennsic-gifts-msg (8K) 9/10/99 Some gift ideas for those going to
          Pennsic.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-gifts-msg.html
          largess-ideas-msg (64K) 2/ 1/09 Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty
          gifts.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/largess-ideas-msg.html

          Stefan
          --------