Roma/Bohemia, SCA in Oklahoma

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2009
      <<< I am very much interested in creating a persona true to my
      heritage Bohemian/Roma but here in Oklahoma there is not much hands on
      access to my heritage that I know of. >>>

      That is not surprising. However, the Internet opens a lot of
      information to you that wasn't available 20 years ago. Here are some
      files in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium which might be of use:
      Gypsies-art (14K) 4/ 7/02 "Gypsies in Period" by Sayidda
      Rakli Zada Orlenda.
      Gypsies-lnks (11K) 5/ 1/05 Links to information on medieval
      Gypsies by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon
      Gypsies-msg (60K) 9/ 4/02 Gypsy culture. Also called Rom or
      Romani.
      Gypsy-tmeline-art (12K) 3/ 1/03 "Timeline of the Roma" by Sayidda
      Rakli Zada Orlenda.

      There should be some books given in these files, perhaps even
      annotated bibliographies. You might want to see if you can get some of
      those books by ILL, Inter-Library Loan. For more information on using
      ILL, see this file in the INFO-SOURCES section:
      Using-ILL-art (8K) 11/09/03 "Interlibrary Loan" by Aelfwynn of
      Whitby

      I'm not quite sure where the region of Bohemia is and what modern
      countries enclose it, but you might also look in this section for
      those countries.

      I do have this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Bohemia-msg (14K) 12/ 3/08 Food of medieval Bohemia.

      <<< The Faires are what peaked my interest and I did not create the
      fest to make money but more to give the performers and guest alike a
      place to truly interact and I want to be both educational and
      entertaining. >>>

      Are you a performer? If so, check out the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section.

      <<< My purpose for choosing the fantasy was to get the children
      involved and interested. >>>

      Do you have children of your own? IF so, perhaps some of the files in
      the CHILDREN section might be of interest.

      <<< Next big question is there a Kingdom or realm here in Oklahoma
      that I might be able to get in touch with to get some hands on sca
      experiance. >>>

      There are numerous local SCA groups in Oklahoma. Unlike what someone
      else said, all of Oklahoma is in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. The part of
      Texas by El Paso is not, because there is a lot of emptiness out there
      and they are closer to more of the groups in the Kingdom of the
      Outlands.

      This page shows the local groups in Ansteorra: http://www.ansteorra.org/groups/
      The northern region includes all of Oklahoma and the Texas
      panhandle and that page shows there to be 10 groups in that region.

      Please let me know if I can help you further. The web address of the
      Florilegium is in my signature line below.

      Stefan
      --------