corsets

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2009
      Bambi said:
      <<< I actually had to cut the pattern down cause the muslin proved
      the fit did not take into account the squishing down that occurs when
      a real corset does its job >>>

      It occurred to me that many women here (and I suspect most guys) may
      know little about corsets, especially the Elizabethan and Tudor ones.
      There is a BIG difference between those and the ones of the Victorian
      era. The latter were notorious for rearranging organs and creating a
      new shape. Those of our period were not worn that way. I've heard many
      women, especially those well-endowed, saying that they find a period
      corset more comfortable than a modern bra.

      For more comments and information on period corsets, see this file in
      the Florilegium:

      corsets-msg (64K) 5/ 6/07 Tudor and Elizabethan corsets.
      making them.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/corsets-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------
    • Bambi TBNL
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 20, 2009
        you betcha!!!
        everytime I get to wear a 16thc corset...my shoulders breath a sigh of reliefe.Also even 18thc corsets were very utilitarian. I used to demonstrate 18thc houskeeping for ahistoric house and quite frankly...I could not have done what I did if I had not been wearing what ammounted to a virtual weight belt...my corset at all times. just hauling water from the well.......
         Bambi (To be named ater) TBNL

        I am made for great things by GOD
        and walk with Pride!!!!
        Walladah bint al Mustakfi c 1100ad