Re: [SCA Newcomers] Where to buy Tablet Weave for tunic trim??

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2009
      If it trim you want, which is very difficult to distinguish from tablet-weaving-by-hand, have a look at the huge selection of trims carried by House of Anoria. Many of their designs are based - so I was told - upon SCA-period originals.
      When I was starting in the SCA with my Lady in 2005, I found Anoria very useful.

      YiS,
       Matthewe Baker
      Drachenwald.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2009
        Chad asked:
        <<< Does anyone know a good place to buy /commision Tablet weave?

        Will attempt to learn how to make my own (when time permits) but im
        just getting started in the SCA and need to get some garb ready for
        events etc.. >>>

        If you are wanting the handmade stuff, check with folks in your local
        group or when you are at your next event or possibly ask on your
        kingdom mailing list. There is a lot of barter that goes on in the SCA
        and this would be an item that can often be handled that way. I'm not
        sure of anyone that regularly sells the handmade stuff.

        For the machine-made stuff, you can often find useable stuff in your
        local fabric stores.

        For more info on trim, and I think some sources for the machine made
        stuff, see this file in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium:
        trim-msg (54K) 8/30/04 Medieval and SCA trim for clothing.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/trim-msg.html

        Unfortunately the Florilegium server went down this morning. I've left
        a message with my site administrator, but I don't have any information
        yet on when it will be back up. In the meantime, I'm happy to email
        copies of any of the Florilegium files to you by email.

        Stefan
        --------
      • cailin.sca@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2009
          For trim, calontir trim is also an excellent resource.
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2009
            Calontir trim has lots and lots of beautiful trim, it is true, but none of
            it is tablet woven.
            Or at least not any time I've ever seen them at an event - including the
            last two Pennsics, and last Saturday at Boar's Head in Northshield.
            It is all machine made, and mostly polyester or nylon.

            Tabitha Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2009
              We have a relatievly local merchant (in Atlantia, maybe) called White Wolf and Phoenix that do both a number of standard patterns and take commissions. Very nice work. I don't know if they have a web presence or not.

              Lancaster, PA

              Does anyone know a good place to buy /commision Tablet weave?

              Will attempt to learn how to make my own (when time permits) but im just getting started in the SCA and need to get some garb ready for events etc..

              Thanks in Advance

            • Chad
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 12, 2009
                Thanks All!! White Wolf and Phoenix looks like a great starting place.
              • David Backlin
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009
                  > For trim, calontir trim is also an excellent resource.

                  Also trimguy.net (who also has buttons)
                • Sue
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009
                    don't forget Pillaged Village