Stefan's Florilegium article for December

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2009
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for November detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World.

      If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
      monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post
      it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter
      on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the
      links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web
      version of this article, please email me.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      ==========
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the CHILDREN section:
      feedng-tddlrs-msg Feeding toddlers at SCA events.
      In the DANCE section:
      G-Peasnt-Dnce-art "16th Century German Peasant Dance from Period
      Woodcuts - Two Dances from the Beham
      Brothers" by Viscountess Elisa von Sophey.
      In the DISABILITIES section:
      Sign-Language-bib "An Annotated Bibliography on Monastic Sign
      Lexicons (MSL), Finger Alphabets and
      Mnemonics" by Lady Ásfríðr Ulfvíðardóttir.
      In the FOOD section:
      DYKIP-Startrs-art "Did You Know its Period? Part 6: Starters and
      Appetizers" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
      In the FIID-BOOKS section:
      Nathnls-Nutmeg-rev "A Review of 'Nathaniel's Nutmeg'" by Johnnae
      llyn Lewis, CE.
      In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
      Cucumbers-Hst-art "Medieval and Ancient History of the
      Cucumber" by Ian of Oertha.
      (Although not new, this article has been substantially updated)
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      Choose-a-Name-art "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"
      by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and
      Malachias von Morgenstern.
      crash-space-msg 'crash-space etiquette' for both the traveler
      and the crash-space provider.
      In the PEOPLE AND PLACES section:
      Copernicus-art "Copernicus: Scientific and Planetary
      Revolutions" by Lord James Northfolke.
      In the STRUCTURES section:
      Select-a-Tent-art "Selecting A Tent For SCA Camping" by Amr ibn
      Majid al-Bakri al-Amra.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      bev-distilled-msg Medieval distilled beverages. Distilling.
      broths-msg Broths in period recipes. Substitutions.
      fd-Germany-msg Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.
      frescoes-msg Creating frescoes. Painted stonework.
      holidays-msg Halloween, Samhain, other Medieval holidays.
      mirrors-msg Period mirrors. Mirror cases. Construction.
      nutmeg-mace-msg Info on the spices nutmeg and mace.
      pasta-msg Period pasta. Period references. Recipes.
      Picts-msg Info. on the Picts. Name sources.
      pilgrimages-msg Medieval pilgrimages and pilgrims.
      raingear-msg Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
      ---
      Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------