Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Plate question

  • Maryelizabeth Hancock
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
      Thank you Lord Stefan for all of your information.  I love your files - they are so full of information!

      Our plates do have a finish on them, but I still am very careful with them.  I oil them after washing, and although not in use, they still get washed occasionally and reoiled to be sure that nothing is rancid.

      I wash them with dish soap but don't let them sit in the water.  After, they are rinsed very well and then let to air dry.  After, we put a little oil on them - olive or canola (whatever I grab first) I usually use olive oil, though.

      Maryelizabeth Hancock

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
        Greetings Maryelizabeth,

        My source is a medieval English evening put together by college students at SUNY Plattsburgh, so I can't say it is definitive, but here is what I remember about what we were told about the plates in use around that time:
        The originals were trenchers made of hard flat bread - oval in shape - on which everything else was piled; meat, vegetables, etc.
        The bread absorbed the juices, and was either eaten at table, or handed out later in the week as alms.
        Eventually, someone got the bright idea to keep the table clean and safe from knife scars by putting a piece of wood under each one - that would be the origin of what we think of as plates, or trenchers.

        If this info is in error, blame my faulty memory, this dinner was in the late 70's!
        If someone wanted to do some research on the origins of trenchers or plates, that could be a fun study, and I hope they'll share the results with us.

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom