Plate question

  • peterbenma
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
      We have wooden plates that are the oval shape like you would see at some of the steak restaurants. Are these good for feast plates?

      I am unsure if the shape is even remotely period and want to be sure that we aren't to "munane" at our first feast.

      Maryelizabeth
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
        We have wooden plates that are the oval shape like you would see at some of the steak restaurants. Are these good for feast plates?

        I am unsure if the shape is even remotely period and want to be sure that we aren't to "munane" at our first feast.

        Maryelizabeth

      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
          Maryelizabeth asked:

          <<< We have wooden plates that are the oval shape like you would see
          at some of the steak restaurants. Are these good for feast plates?

          I am unsure if the shape is even remotely period and want to be sure
          that we aren't to "munane" at our first feast.>>>

          I'm not sure, although I thought I remembered seeing oval plates in
          some illuminations or engravings. But even if not strictly accurate
          they won't stand out as obtrusively mundane. If they were bright red
          or blue and were obviously out of plastic, that would be different.

          Are these finished with something? If not, you might want to at least
          oil them with and edible oil that won't go rancid to protest them.
          Also, with wooden utensils, don't put them in a sink or bucket of
          water and just let them sit. Since these are plates you are already
          using you may be aware of these care comments, but this is also for
          others here.

          Here is a Florilegium file which might be of interest:
          wood-utn-care-msg (16K) 5/15/08 Care of utensils made of wood.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/wood-utn-care-msg.html

          Stefan
          --------
        • Maryelizabeth Hancock
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
            Thank you Lord Stefan for all of your information.  I love your files - they are so full of information!

            Our plates do have a finish on them, but I still am very careful with them.  I oil them after washing, and although not in use, they still get washed occasionally and reoiled to be sure that nothing is rancid.

            I wash them with dish soap but don't let them sit in the water.  After, they are rinsed very well and then let to air dry.  After, we put a little oil on them - olive or canola (whatever I grab first) I usually use olive oil, though.

            Maryelizabeth Hancock

[...]

            Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@ austin.rr. com
            **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florileg ium.org ****

          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
              Greetings Maryelizabeth,

              My source is a medieval English evening put together by college students at SUNY Plattsburgh, so I can't say it is definitive, but here is what I remember about what we were told about the plates in use around that time:
              The originals were trenchers made of hard flat bread - oval in shape - on which everything else was piled; meat, vegetables, etc.
              The bread absorbed the juices, and was either eaten at table, or handed out later in the week as alms.
              Eventually, someone got the bright idea to keep the table clean and safe from knife scars by putting a piece of wood under each one - that would be the origin of what we think of as plates, or trenchers.

              If this info is in error, blame my faulty memory, this dinner was in the late 70's!
              If someone wanted to do some research on the origins of trenchers or plates, that could be a fun study, and I hope they'll share the results with us.

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom