Re: New again to the SCA

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
      Maryelizabeth said:

      <<< Our family is coming back to the SCA after a few years and I
      thinnk I have forgotten everything! >>>

      In some ways returning to the SCA is like moving to a new area of the
      Known World.

      Here are some good files to read in the NEWCOMERS section of the
      Florilegium:
      Othr-Newcomrs-art (16K) 2/23/03 "The 'Other' Newcomers" by Lady
      Wilhelmina
      Catharin de Rochelle. For SCA folks moving from one group to another.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Othr-Newcomrs-art.html
      SCA-trans-msg (18K) 1/ 4/96 How to handle the move from one
      group to another. For the people in the group too.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-trans-msg.html

      While you are there, read through some of the other files in that
      section. Some stuff may be new to you. Others may just be good
      reminders.

      If you've not been to the Florilegium before, the address is below in
      my signature line.

      <<< My sons and I were members when they were little, but once
      remarried, that dropped off due to location and the husband being
      totally disinterested. Lucky for us, he is now very interested and
      the boys are much older. >>>

      You don't mention how old your sons are now. There is also a CHILDREN
      section in the Florilegium which might be of use.

      <<< I am working on basic garb for us (t-tunics and trousers for the
      guys, a simple Ren for me) and have a garb question.

      We are interested in Pennsic and I would like to have simple clothes
      for it. Would it be proper for a female to have an undertunic, over
      tunic and a tie-belt, and wear the veil on the virtue site? >>>

      Unless you are just dropping in for a day or two, you are going to
      want more clothes for that event than one set. Plus the weather at
      Pennsic can range from hot and sunny to cold and rainy and often both.
      You do have time to accumilate some clothing before then since that is
      over half a year off. After you get this first set of clothes done,
      you might want to concentrate on some cloaks for everyone, which will
      help with both cold and wet weather. There is some information on
      cloaks in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium.

      You'll want to start collecting some feastgear for both regular events
      and Pennsic. To start off with, some plates and cups and perhaps some
      eating utensils that don't look overly modern (avoid brightly colored
      plastics) will work.

      feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the
      SCA.
      cleaning wooden feastgear.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

      For Pennsic info you might find some of the files in the PENNSIC
      section of the Florilegium might be of use such as:
      New-2-Pennsic-msg (44K) 6/23/04 Information for those new to Pennsic.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html
      Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic
      Prep" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

      I hope this helps you get started again.

      Stefan
      --------
    • Maryelizabeth Hancock
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
        I was thinking of linen or cotton bloomer-type shorts - not as baggy as the ones from later time periods, but that is the best "term" I could think of.  I think the biker shorts would be a bit too tight, making you sweat worse in certain areas.  I was thinking that the bloomer/shorts idea would be a great use of extra pieces of fabric that are left over from other projects.  Am I right or would the bloomer/loose shorts still cause chafing?

        Maryelizabeth Hancock

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2009
          I was thinking of linen or cotton bloomer-type shorts - not as baggy as the ones from later time periods, but that is the best "term" I could think of. I think the biker shorts would be a bit too tight, making you sweat worse in certain areas. I was thinking that the bloomer/shorts idea would be a great use of extra pieces of fabric that are left over from other projects. Am I right or would the bloomer/loose shorts still cause chafing?

          Maryelizabeth Hancock

          No, the loose linen or cotton (I even have a few old polycotton pairs) bloomer/shorts thing works fine; that's what I use. Just make sure the legs are long enough to cover the areas of your thighs that rub. Some of mine tend to ride up a bit, causing me to do a periodic shimmy to make them drop down again. The only reason I even suggested the bike shorts is because I know people who use them and say they work.

          Brangwayna Morgan
          Shire of Silver Rylle, East KIngdom
          Lancaster PA