New again to the SCA

  • peterbenma
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2009
      Our family is coming back to the SCA after a few years and I thinnk I have forgotten everything!

      My sons and I were members when they were little, but once remarried, that dropped off due to location and the husband being totally disinterested. Lucky for us, he is now very interested and the boys are much older.

      I am working on basic garb for us (t-tunics and trousers for the guys, a simple Ren for me) and have a garb question.

      We are interested in Pennsic and I would like to have simple clothes for it. Would it be proper for a female to have an undertunic, over tunic and a tie-belt, and wear the veil on the virtue site?

      One other question - if it is very hot, can you do without the undertunic?

      My stepdaughter is interested in the SCA as well and would like to have simple and easy garb, as well.

      Thank you so much for your help.

      Maryelizabeth
    • Lava Quod est Sordidium
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
        First let me say Welcome Home!
        Second, I'm going to point out that the society has changed a great deal since you left. Gone is the 'family (membership) is defined as everyone under the same roof'. Gone (thankfully) is 'female fighters are few and far between'. Many are the changes, some good some not so, it's up to you to decide which is which.

        > Would it be proper for a female
        > to have an undertunic, over tunic and a tie-belt, and wear
        > the veil on the virtue site?

        Fortunately, one of the things that is not so gone is that the SCA (and Pennsic) still only require an 'attempt at medieval garb'. You get to decide what that means. In this tight financial time people are lucky to be able to go to Pennsic at all. Do your best with your restrictions and those who want to look down on you for not living up to their own standards have missed the idea that we're all trying to be gracious and 'noble' and better people than mundane society expects us to be.

        Fortunately the point is still to have fun.

        Hoping to see you at Pennsic XXXIX,
        Lady Aelfwyn Elswith of the Confraternity of St. Eve.
      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
          Maryelizabeth wrote:
          > We are interested in Pennsic and I would like to have simple
          > clothes for it. Would it be proper for a female to have an
          > undertunic, over tunic and a tie-belt, and wear the veil on the
          > virtue site?

          Undertunic, overtunic, belt, veil sounds good to me. If the tunics
          are very long and bloused over the belt, you'll have look reminiscent
          of the 13th-century Maciejowski Bible <http://www.medievaltymes.com/
          courtyard/images/maciejowski/leaf4/otm4rb.gif> <http://
          www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images/maciejowski/leaf4/
          otm4vb.gif>. If they just reach the ground and aren't bloused, it'll
          be more like something from the 14th-century manuscript shelfmarked
          Bodleian 264 <http://image.ox.ac.uk/images/bodleian/ms.bodl.
          264/49r.jpg> <http://image.ox.ac.uk/images/bodleian/ms.bodl.
          264/52r.jpg>.

          I'm not sure what you mean by "tie-belt", though.

          > One other question - if it is very hot, can you do without the
          > undertunic?

          I suppose you could. But I wouldn't recommend it. Imagine what's
          going to happen if you're wearing only one layer of fabric and you
          start to sweat heavily. (T-shirts aren't the only things that cling
          when wet.)

          If you're expecting to be overly hot, the best thing to do is leave
          off the belt. There are a lot of women pictured without them in
          period manuscripts, including the aforementioned Bodl. 264 <http://
          image.ox.ac.uk/images/bodleian/ms.bodl.264/21v.jpg>. If the tunics
          aren't too fitted and they don't drag the ground, breezes will be
          able to get under your skirts and run up your body all the way to the
          shoulder. It makes a *lot* of difference, as I can attest from
          personal experiences under the Texas sun.

          If you're wearing a belt so you'll have somewhere to hang a pouch,
          don't bother. You can just carry your stuff in a shoulder-bag
          <http://coblaith.net/Bags/TrapezoidalBag/default.html> or a basket.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>
        • Judith Epstein
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
            On 1 Dec 2009, at 3:55 PM, Coblaith Muimnech wrote:

            > Maryelizabeth wrote:
            >> One other question - if it is very hot, can you do without the undertunic?
            >
            > I suppose you could. But I wouldn't recommend it. Imagine what's going to happen if you're wearing only one layer of fabric and you
            > start to sweat heavily. (T-shirts aren't the only things that cling when wet.)
            >
            > If you're expecting to be overly hot, the best thing to do is leave off the belt. There are a lot of women pictured without them in
            > period manuscripts, including the aforementioned Bodl. 264 <http://image.ox.ac.uk/images/bodleian/ms.bodl.264/21v.jpg>. If the tunics aren't too fitted and they don't drag the ground, breezes will be able to get under your skirts and run up your body all the way to the shoulder. It makes a *lot* of difference, as I can attest from personal experiences under the Texas sun.

            Absolutely correct. Maryelizabeth, there's a reason that the most body-covering, modest clothing styles originated in the hotter areas of the world. Loose, flowing clothing allows breezes, while covering up the skin so that one doesn't dehydrate or sunburn. If you expect to spend the majority of your SCA time in hotter places, I highly recommend an Indian or North African persona.

            D'vorah, mka Judith Epstein
            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
            judith@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
              Absolutely.

              In fact, that pretty much describes my 12th century garb, and it's actually pretty darned authentic. A long-sleeved white linen undertunic; a colored long-sleeved overtunic, either wool if it's cool or linen if it's hot, and a linen veil held on by any of a number of methods. If very hot, drop the undertunic and wear a colored linen long-sleeved tunic and the veil. I've found that I do best with veils that do NOT wrap under my chin when it's really hot.

              You may find that you also want some braies (basically, underpants, but they look like drawstring shorts for the most part) to prevent chafing of the thighs when it is hot. Or, make do with a modern equivalent such as bike shorts - nobody can see them under your gowns anyway.

              Lancaster, PA

[...]

            • Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
                bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                [...] to prevent chafing of the thighs when it is hot. Or, make do with a
                modern equivalent such as bike shorts - nobody can see them under your gowns anyway.

                The only issue with wearing bike/cycling shorts under your gowns is that most of
                them are made with lots of lycra (think spandex) which can actually contribute
                to your overheating.

                I would recommend the linen undergarments myself. It's what I'm switching to. :)

                Finnseach
                Dernehealde, Midrealm

                --
                "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you know,
                sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough chocolate in the
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Maryelizabeth said:

                  <<< Our family is coming back to the SCA after a few years and I
                  thinnk I have forgotten everything! >>>

                  In some ways returning to the SCA is like moving to a new area of the
                  Known World.

                  Here are some good files to read in the NEWCOMERS section of the
                  Florilegium:
                  Othr-Newcomrs-art (16K) 2/23/03 "The 'Other' Newcomers" by Lady
                  Wilhelmina
                  Catharin de Rochelle. For SCA folks moving from one group to another.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Othr-Newcomrs-art.html
                  SCA-trans-msg (18K) 1/ 4/96 How to handle the move from one
                  group to another. For the people in the group too.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/SCA-trans-msg.html

                  While you are there, read through some of the other files in that
                  section. Some stuff may be new to you. Others may just be good
                  reminders.

                  If you've not been to the Florilegium before, the address is below in
                  my signature line.

                  <<< My sons and I were members when they were little, but once
                  remarried, that dropped off due to location and the husband being
                  totally disinterested. Lucky for us, he is now very interested and
                  the boys are much older. >>>

                  You don't mention how old your sons are now. There is also a CHILDREN
                  section in the Florilegium which might be of use.

                  <<< I am working on basic garb for us (t-tunics and trousers for the
                  guys, a simple Ren for me) and have a garb question.

                  We are interested in Pennsic and I would like to have simple clothes
                  for it. Would it be proper for a female to have an undertunic, over
                  tunic and a tie-belt, and wear the veil on the virtue site? >>>

                  Unless you are just dropping in for a day or two, you are going to
                  want more clothes for that event than one set. Plus the weather at
                  Pennsic can range from hot and sunny to cold and rainy and often both.
                  You do have time to accumilate some clothing before then since that is
                  over half a year off. After you get this first set of clothes done,
                  you might want to concentrate on some cloaks for everyone, which will
                  help with both cold and wet weather. There is some information on
                  cloaks in the CLOTHING section of the Florilegium.

                  You'll want to start collecting some feastgear for both regular events
                  and Pennsic. To start off with, some plates and cups and perhaps some
                  eating utensils that don't look overly modern (avoid brightly colored
                  plastics) will work.

                  feastgear-msg (44K) 3/24/08 Obtaining feastgear for use in the
                  SCA.
                  cleaning wooden feastgear.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/feastgear-msg.html

                  For Pennsic info you might find some of the files in the PENNSIC
                  section of the Florilegium might be of use such as:
                  New-2-Pennsic-msg (44K) 6/23/04 Information for those new to Pennsic.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/New-2-Pennsic-msg.html
                  Pennsic-Prep-art (12K) 8/22/02 "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic
                  Prep" by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Pennsic-Prep-art.html

                  I hope this helps you get started again.

                  Stefan
                  --------
                • Maryelizabeth Hancock
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
                    I was thinking of linen or cotton bloomer-type shorts - not as baggy as the ones from later time periods, but that is the best "term" I could think of.  I think the biker shorts would be a bit too tight, making you sweat worse in certain areas.  I was thinking that the bloomer/shorts idea would be a great use of extra pieces of fabric that are left over from other projects.  Am I right or would the bloomer/loose shorts still cause chafing?

                    Maryelizabeth Hancock

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2009
                      I was thinking of linen or cotton bloomer-type shorts - not as baggy as the ones from later time periods, but that is the best "term" I could think of. I think the biker shorts would be a bit too tight, making you sweat worse in certain areas. I was thinking that the bloomer/shorts idea would be a great use of extra pieces of fabric that are left over from other projects. Am I right or would the bloomer/loose shorts still cause chafing?

                      Maryelizabeth Hancock

                      No, the loose linen or cotton (I even have a few old polycotton pairs) bloomer/shorts thing works fine; that's what I use. Just make sure the legs are long enough to cover the areas of your thighs that rub. Some of mine tend to ride up a bit, causing me to do a periodic shimmy to make them drop down again. The only reason I even suggested the bike shorts is because I know people who use them and say they work.

                      Brangwayna Morgan
                      Shire of Silver Rylle, East KIngdom
                      Lancaster PA