Re: Hammered Dulcimer

  • cjburke_99
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "peneth4" <peneth4@...> wrote:

      > Greetings
      >
      > I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm trying to get hold of a hammered dulcimer.
      >
      > As a newby I'm obviously not after anything flash, fancy or expensive. I'm quite prepared to pay for shipping if necessary but would rather keep the cost down (who doesn't).
      >
      > Any recommendations, especially for Australia for getting one.

      Do you have any talent for woodworking?

      I've found a couple of different plans for dulcimers on-line, and over the winter I am going to try making one. I've made toys and some small funiture pieces in the past, and the dulcimer plans do not look all that difficult if you have a bit of skill and patience.

      When I'm home tonight, I'll try locating some of those plans and post links to them.

      Dragos
      "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"
    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 2009
        Greetings Lady Merwyn,

        Welcome to SCA Newcomers.

        I hope you can find a good hammered dulcimer in Australia.
        Please take your time, and make sure you can try out any dulcimer that has
        been pre-owned.

        If you find you can't get a good dulcimer where you are, I recommend
        Songbird Hammered Dulcimers: http://www.songbirdhd.com/

        Their dulcimers are fairly inexpensive, as dulcimers go, (about $300 - 500,
        as opposed to $500 - 1,000,) and the lower end line all have the laminated
        birch option, which means they stay in tune - a large consideration when you
        have more than 50 strings to tune.
        They also have only 2 strings per course, so not quite as many to tune as
        you might have on a more expensive make - tuning can get pretty discouraging
        when you have 50 - 200 strings to tune every time you want to play.
        (I know someone who plays a larger instrument with 4 strings per course - he
        can't ever quite get the whole thing in tune, and he has 164 strings to
        tune, just on the one instrument!)

        Their basic model is the Phoebe, and it's a pretty good instrument for
        someone who wants to try out the dulcimer, but isn't sure this is the right
        instrument for them.
        There is also the next size up, the Whippoorwill, which is a little larger
        than the Phoebe, and is chromatic - easier for someone who is unfamiliar
        with how dulcimer scales are laid out, and perhaps unfamiliar with
        non-chromatic scales, not necessarily the best if what you want is to learn
        to play any hammered dulcimer.

        These are good 'student' instruments, very sturdy and well made - learn to
        play on one of these, and when you are ready to move on to a bigger, better
        instrument, you will have a good idea of what you are and are not looking
        for in a dulcimer.

        Other things to consider when buying a hammered dulcimer: Are the stand and
        case included in the price and shipping info? Does it come with a tuning
        wrench and diagram? What kind of strings are on it, and where can you get
        more?

        Good luck,
        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm trying to
        get hold of a hammered dulcimer.

        As a newby I'm obviously not after anything flash, fancy or expensive. I'm
        quite prepared to pay for shipping if necessary but would rather keep the
        cost down (who doesn't).

        Any recommendations, especially for Australia for getting one.

        Many thanks
        lady Merwyn aka Penny