Hammered Dulcimer

  • peneth4
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
      Greetings

      I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm trying to get hold of a hammered dulcimer.

      As a newby I'm obviously not after anything flash, fancy or expensive. I'm quite prepared to pay for shipping if necessary but would rather keep the cost down (who doesn't).

      Any recommendations, especially for Australia for getting one.

      Many thanks
      lady Merwyn aka Penny
    • cjburke_99
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "peneth4" <peneth4@...> wrote:

        > Greetings
        >
        > I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm trying to get hold of a hammered dulcimer.
        >
        > As a newby I'm obviously not after anything flash, fancy or expensive. I'm quite prepared to pay for shipping if necessary but would rather keep the cost down (who doesn't).
        >
        > Any recommendations, especially for Australia for getting one.

        Do you have any talent for woodworking?

        I've found a couple of different plans for dulcimers on-line, and over the winter I am going to try making one. I've made toys and some small funiture pieces in the past, and the dulcimer plans do not look all that difficult if you have a bit of skill and patience.

        When I'm home tonight, I'll try locating some of those plans and post links to them.

        Dragos
        "Let there be music! Let there be dancing!"
      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
          lady Merwyn wrote:
          > I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm
          > trying to get hold of a hammered dulcimer.

          Have you considered asking the Hammered Dulcimer Yahoo! Group <http://
          launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammered_dulcimer/> to recommend
          sources? A quick archive search shows at least one member lives in
          Australia.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>
        • peneth4
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 25, 2009
            Greetings Coblaith Muimnech

            Many thanks for your answer to my question.

            I have subsequently joined the group and will do a hunt for a dulcimer. Never even thought about looking at Yahoo Groups for Dulcimers.

            Yours
            Penny aka lady Merwyn

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith@...> wrote:

            > lady Merwyn wrote:
            > > I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm
            > > trying to get hold of a hammered dulcimer.
            >
            > Have you considered asking the Hammered Dulcimer Yahoo! Group <http://
            > launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammered_dulcimer/> to recommend
            > sources? A quick archive search shows at least one member lives in
            > Australia.
            >

            > Coblaith Muimnech
            > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            > Kingdom of Ansteorra
            > <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            > <http://coblaith.net>

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 25, 2009
              http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hammered+dulcimer

              Not exactly cheap but they have several types.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "peneth4" <peneth4@...> wrote:

              > Greetings Coblaith Muimnech
              >
              > Many thanks for your answer to my question.
              >
              > I have subsequently joined the group and will do a hunt for a dulcimer. Never even thought about looking at Yahoo Groups for Dulcimers.
              >
              > Yours
              > Penny aka lady Merwyn
              >

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith@> wrote:
              > >
              > > lady Merwyn wrote:
              > > > I live in Queensland, Australia ~ that bits important ~ and I'm
              > > > trying to get hold of a hammered dulcimer.
              > >
              > > Have you considered asking the Hammered Dulcimer Yahoo! Group <http://
              > > launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammered_dulcimer/> to recommend
              > > sources? A quick archive search shows at least one member lives in
              > > Australia.
              > >

              > > Coblaith Muimnech
              > > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              > > Kingdom of Ansteorra
              > > <mailto:Coblaith@>
              > > <http://coblaith.net>

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 25, 2009
                Greetings Lady Merwyn,

                Welcome to SCA Newcomers.

                I hope you can find a good hammered dulcimer in Australia.
                Please take your time, and make sure you can try out any dulcimer that has
                been pre-owned.

                If you find you can't get a good dulcimer where you are, I recommend
                Songbird Hammered Dulcimers: http://www.songbirdhd.com/

                Their dulcimers are fairly inexpensive, as dulcimers go, (about $300 - 500,
                as opposed to $500 - 1,000,) and the lower end line all have the laminated
                birch option, which means they stay in tune - a large consideration when you
                have more than 50 strings to tune.
                They also have only 2 strings per course, so not quite as many to tune as
                you might have on a more expensive make - tuning can get pretty discouraging
                when you have 50 - 200 strings to tune every time you want to play.
                (I know someone who plays a larger instrument with 4 strings per course - he
                can't ever quite get the whole thing in tune, and he has 164 strings to
                tune, just on the one instrument!)

                Their basic model is the Phoebe, and it's a pretty good instrument for
                someone who wants to try out the dulcimer, but isn't sure this is the right
                instrument for them.
                There is also the next size up, the Whippoorwill, which is a little larger
                than the Phoebe, and is chromatic - easier for someone who is unfamiliar
                with how dulcimer scales are laid out, and perhaps unfamiliar with
                non-chromatic scales, not necessarily the best if what you want is to learn
                to play any hammered dulcimer.

                These are good 'student' instruments, very sturdy and well made - learn to
                play on one of these, and when you are ready to move on to a bigger, better
                instrument, you will have a good idea of what you are and are not looking
                for in a dulcimer.

                Other things to consider when buying a hammered dulcimer: Are the stand and
                case included in the price and shipping info? Does it come with a tuning
                wrench and diagram? What kind of strings are on it, and where can you get
                more?

                Good luck,
                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands