Re: Hi, im new.. and had a question

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
      Cailin replied to Catrin of Cale with:

      But just to tide you over, I think you're
      generally encouraged to have your device point to your heritage. I
      know some
      kingdoms won't approve a device that doesn't match the culture of the
      persona. others are more lax. For example, where I live, an english
      person
      with a russian device would be frowned upon. >>>

      Ansteorra must be one of the kingdoms that doesn't do that, as I've
      never heard this mentioned before. Mixing names from unlikely cultural
      pairings is frowned upon if not directly disqualified, but I've never
      heard of this for armory vs. persona. A further complication is that
      many cultures in our time period did not have heraldry or they were
      before heraldry really became formalized.

      This file talks a little about this.
      heraldry-tips-msg (9K) 9/28/95 SCA heraldry for cultures that
      didn't have
      heraldry.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/heraldry-tips-msg.html

      Catrin had commented:
      <<< Can your device have things that draw into your heritage? >>>

      The previous comments were more about heraldic style. If by your
      heritage, you were speaking of the charge(s) on your device, then
      there is another caution. Heraldry in the Middle Ages was passed down
      from generation to generation. We haven't have enough multiple
      generations in the SCA yet for this to be a big concern, but if you
      have parents in the SCA, do you want to use their heraldry or do wish
      to start again with your own? What this means is that today, and
      originally in period, a particular charge may have been chosen as a
      pun on a name or because the originator just liked it. But when
      inherited, that liking for a charge may or may not exist.

      Gentles often choose a charge because they like it. Say a book because
      you like to read. But often period heraldry did not have that
      association. So you may or may not wish to choose a charge because of
      some symbolic value. But whether you do or do not, please resist the
      temptation to add multiple different charges. Example: I like reading
      so, I'll start with a book and I like horses, so let's add a blue
      horse head and I like money so lets add a stack of coins. This is
      "slot machine" heraldry and is in very bad taste and rather poor
      heraldry.

      Stefan
      --------
    • Babers, or Keleka
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2009
        Thank you Cailin,
        I'm Portugeuese (irl) and hopefully can adopt a more portugeusian ield, however my name appears to not workso well with that. back to the naming boards.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Cailin Mac Kinnach <cailin.sca@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm no expert, and I'm sure Coblaith will be along sooner or later to give
        > you a much better answer. But just to tide you over, I think you're
        > generally encouraged to have your device point to your heritage. I know some
        > kingdoms won't approve a device that doesn't match the culture of the
        > persona. others are more lax. For example, where I live, an english person
        > with a russian device would be frowned upon.
        >
        > Cailin
        >
        > On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Babers, or Keleka <
        > sweetlittletessa@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hi, I'm new to the group here and to SCA kind of.. I recently got more
        > > involved with a local chapter Kingdom of the West , I'm in the Shire of
        > > Thistlethorr's Locality but am attending activities with Vakerfjell
        > > currently. I'm trying to work on a persona, and make sure my chosen names
        > > work together. My question is regarding making a device, Can your device
        > > have things that draw into your heritage? For example if you are a celt can
        > > you have knotwork on your device?
        > > Any help would sure be appreciated,
        > > Thanks So much
        > > Teresa
        > > hopefully soon to be named
        > > Catrin of Cale

      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2009
          Teresa wrote:
          > I'm Portugeuese (irl) and hopefully can adopt a more portugeusian
          > ield, however my name appears to not workso well with that. back to
          > the naming boards.

          There are several articles on period Portuguese names on the College
          of Arms' site <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/
          names.html#spain>, and one more in the Medieval Names Archive's guide
          to Spanish and Portuguese names <http://s-gabriel.org/names/
          iberian.shtml>. (Several articles from the former are also available
          in the latter, but since you don't have to include printouts from the
          CoA site when you use the articles there as documentation for a
          submitted name, it's better to cite the version there if there is
          one--spare a tree and save yourself the time and expense of making
          copies.)

          Coblaith Muimnech
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>