RE: [SCA Newcomers] Ready to wear

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
      From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of peneth4
      Sent: Wednesday, 11 November 2009 10:04 PM
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Ready to wear

      Greetings dearest Elizabeth

      I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the
      Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some
      garb made.

      As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm
      actually after several outfits.

      I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who
      saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . .
      getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really
      am THAT BAD at sewing.

      Thank you
      Lady Merwyn aka Penny

      ----------------------------------

      Don't discount the possibility that you might get better at sewing with
      practice and a teacher (practical skills like sewing are much easier to
      learn if you have somebody with you who can show you exactly what to do
      rather than trying to muddle through alone). A lot of people come into the
      SCA without ever having touched a sewing machine and learn as they go.
      However if making clothing really doesn't appeal to you that's OK, you don't
      need to persist in doing something you really don't like.
      If you really want to buy your clothing readymade I would suggest contacting
      Contarina as you're likely to get a better result when the person making the
      garment can see you and you can see the garment or fabric in person (a
      friend swore off mail ordering clothing when she bought a dress in a colour
      she thought she liked but made her look horrible when it was against her
      skin)
      Elizabeth Walpole | Elizabeth Beaumont
      http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/