Re: [SCA Newcomers] Ready to wear

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009

      Barter, barter, barter. There's someone out there who loves to sew,
      but hates to cook. Bring food for them to your events, and trade the
      skills. There's someone out there who wants feast gear; if you've got
      extra feast gear, or if you know how to make your own, arrange a
      trade. If you can learn a very few of the most basic embroidery
      methods, trade that for sewing -- it's gorgeous, takes up a lot of
      time, and isn't too demanding skill-wise (well, anyway, cross-stitch
      doesn't take much skill, though it does require patience). It's
      tedious work, and some seamsters won't want to spend their time
      decorating when they could spend it making more garments. Watch their
      kids, shovel their snow. Everyone has SOMETHING they'd rather get
      someone else to do. :)

      If you ever think you might like to learn to sew in order to save
      yourself some money in the garb department, read on. I'm sort of in
      the same boat, but I bit the bullet and bought a sewing machine. Now I
      HAVE to learn to use it! Fortunately there's a very patient friend I
      have, who's willing to spend Sundays at my place, showing me how to
      lay out and cut out patterns, pin things correctly, cut correctly, and
      put them together correctly. Also, when I bought the machine, I
      learned that I could get as many free lessons as I want in how to use
      it. They won't teach me to sew, but they'll teach me what all the
      buttons and knobs do, how to thread the machine, how to load a
      bobbin... it's really, really little nitpicky stuff that's important,
      but that you'd never really think to do yourself. Instruction books
      are great, but there's just no substitute for a human teacher. Call
      around the local sewing/fabric stores and see if any of them offer
      similar instruction in the use of the machines they sell.

      Judith / no SCA name yet
      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
    • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
        No, no no, Lady Merwyn, don't give up on learning how to sew yet!

        I took [well, was forced to take...] a nine-weeks' class in sewing in the public school system in the USA, got a "D" [really, really bad grade], and was 'written off' as a future sewer by both the teacher and my mother.  That was when I was 13 years old.  When I turned 18, my mother took one look at me, realized she had a 'clothes horse' [someone who wears clothes well and WANTS LOTS OF THEM!!] on her hands...

        So what did she do?  Our previous, annual 'shopping trips' for my school clothes had always turned into shopping trips FOR HER, so the only contribution she made to my clothing expenses was to buy me a cheap sewing machine...

        Now, some 30-40 years later, that little 13-year-old who nearly FLUNKED sewing in school has won TWO AWARDS from the International Costumers' Association; at their 2005 convention, for my "Eternal Infernal Elizabethan" gown.  Not totally authentic in period (I used a serger on some of the interior seams), but close enough to pass polite inspection, provided the Laurel doesn't become too personal/intrusive...

        So, please don't give up on your sewing skills.  You probably just need to find someone who'll take the time to educate you in the proper techniques for fitting, as well as sewing.

        Besides, it's much cheaper, as well as [ultimately] more fulfilling...  Ziddina

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
          I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the
          Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some
          garb made.

          As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm
          actually after several outfits.

          I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who
          saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . .
          getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really
          am THAT BAD at sewing.

          Thank you
          Lady Merwyn aka Penny

          ----------------------------------

          Don't discount the possibility that you might get better at sewing with
          practice and a teacher (practical skills like sewing are much easier to
          learn if you have somebody with you who can show you exactly what to do
          rather than trying to muddle through alone). A lot of people come into the
          SCA without ever having touched a sewing machine and learn as they go.
          However if making clothing really doesn't appeal to you that's OK, you don't
          need to persist in doing something you really don't like.
          If you really want to buy your clothing readymade I would suggest contacting
          Contarina as you're likely to get a better result when the person making the
          garment can see you and you can see the garment or fabric in person (a
          friend swore off mail ordering clothing when she bought a dress in a colour
          she thought she liked but made her look horrible when it was against her
          skin)